Friday, March 02, 2007

Poker: Home Tourney : March 2007

This month is the first time playing the new rules No Limit, No Rebuy so have been looking forward to this for a long time.

Arrived at the club in plenty of time, luckily as it turned out because as I turned on the lights in the room, they all went out !! They couldn't work out which fuse had tripped, so offered us the committee room instead (upstairs) which provided a good environment to play in, albeit a long way from the bar and toilet. We were also short of the White clan... so was a bit puzzled by their no show and had to keep running downstairs to check they hadn't turned up and not seen the note I left on the door. This wasn't the nice relaxing, focused start I had hoped for.....

When we did start I really had a fantastic few hands.... got dealt KK first hand and two people called my raise. The flop wasn't scarey so bet out and got one caller.... the turn wasn't an A so bet out again and took the pot. Next hand was A9 so saw the flop, although it was no good for me so folded, then the next hand got AA. Luckily Derek went with me to the river so I got paid off and was around 8000 chips (from the 4000 starting point) Settled down after that as the cards dried up. By now Martin had dropped to 2000 chips and was calling Dereks bets to the river. Derek put Martin all-in who called showing a pair, but Derek had trips so took Martin out after less than 20 mins play!

Unbelieveably I got dealt pocket A again soon after and bet sizeable chunk each round. Derek called all the way so thought he must have a pocket pair also. Unfortunately for me, his pocket Q hit a Q on the river and busted my A's putting me back down to around 4000 chips.

Bill looked to be in trouble when he went all-in to Darren. I had already folded my flush draw by then (which hit on the river) but Bill's full house got turned over by Darren's quad 4's ! Bill was left with around 500 chips, but after a couple of double ups (once against me!) he was right back in it.

After that I got some good draws which didn't hit and a couple of moves which didn't go anywhere and found myself struggling. Managed to double up once but by then it was too little too late, and was next out when my A-9 all-in raise got called by Derek and Bill with Derek's pair 4's ending up the winner.

Sean was busted out on the other table straight after me so we were already down to the last 8 players. As this allowed us to open up a cash game I didn't see much more of the main table action, but seemed like there was lots of action going on..

For me a bit disappointing result, but still thoroughly enjoyable.... roll on next month

No comments: