Friday, May 02, 2008

Poker: Home Tournament - May 2008

It was a bit of a shock for some to see some GIRLS turn up to play :-) We also had Steve W join us for the first time, so welcome to everyone to the bonkers monthly game...

On my table, Bill seemed to start off in his normal style by getting all-in with Andy.... as it turned out his A-K against JJ was a close race but neither improved and Bill is buying in the first hand (now that isn't unusual) There is a lot of limping in (also as normal) so I am getting compelling odds to play quite loose and end up limping in with some rubbish like 6-4 but hit a straight and as Bill has called me, he ends up buying in again and I start building a good size stack. A few hands later, Bill is all in against against my two pair and the turn comes what I think is a blank but the river completed his runner-runner straight and takes a miracle win.... its going to be a long night...

My luck is actually pretty good, as its not long before I get K-7 on blind and flop gives me a straight draw. Alex gives me a cheap card and I hit the straight on the turn which we both check. The value bet on the river gets paid off and my stack is looking healthy again.

As the night progresses Alex builds up a good size stack, as does Andy. My stack starts to go up and down a bit but mainly down....

At the break, I am at around 2500 chips which is a little below average but not anything to worry too much about.

Incredibly, Jon is the first man out on the other table and stands around looking shell shocked.... but he isn't the only one out for long and Jock gets busted out by Andy

As the blinds increase it is starting to get expensive to see flops and Steve W suddenly springs into life by busting out Roger then Bill in quick succession. With a decent size stack he also starts putting in pot sized bets on the flop and suddenly has a huge stack ! Not bad for a beginner (you did say you were a beginner, didn't you ;-) ) Soon after, Viki gets busted out after a good show, so we are down to the final table.....

The final table sees Karen with the chip lead, Mick low stack but on the button and I have just enough for the BB but am one off the BB so have two hands to be all in. Seeing A-7 was enough for me to put my 700 chips. Lucky for me everyone else folds except Steve W who is obliged to call the extra 200 and shows 6-4. Luckily I hit a 7 and take the pot so can afford to put in my BB now ! I have to fold the next hand when there is some raising but go all in with A-4 on SB when everyone except Derek folds. Alex re-raises which makes Derek fold, but am not confident when Alex shows A-8 Luckily for me, the flop brings an A and all high cards, so we end up splitting the pot and I have got a full round to make a move with my 2000 odd chips now.

To my surprise and delight, the action really hots up, with Steve W betting out on all streets against Karen, he has to show a complete bluff on the end against Karen's pair A, so is the first player out from the final table (well done though, good effort) Turns out to be the start of Karen's Juggernaut ride over the table as she takes out both Mick and Simon on the next hand.... Simon with trip Aces was betting big but Karen sitting there quietly with Full House took a HUGE pot (Simon was likely 2nd chip leader at the time) I suddenly find myself in at least 5th place which was unexpected to say the least, but the winner is no longer in any real doubt....

Unfortunately I do not improve as I stick it all in with K-7 and get called by Karen and Andy from the blinds. With no pocket pairs, my 7 pairing the flop put me well in the lead but with Alex and Derek's support, Karen hit a T on the river, taking another two players out and leaving just 3 players.

It is all over bar the shouting as Derek find himself all-in with T-3 but this time it is Alex who is taking a player out

With there only being time for four hands, Karen continues her tight play and takes the well deserved win.

With 16 players it was quite busy, but a fantastic game with lots of action.... next month is the £10 special (no-limit, no-rebuy with 2nd chance) so that one should also be a cracker... can't wait !

No comments: