Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Poker: Home Tournament – September 2008

I only have vague memories of the event this month, partly down to the fact that I had a couple of beers, but mainly as I am writing this nearly a week later after a particularly hectic week

We managed to get back into the normal room this month, so was happy about that and also had both Colin and Martin join us for the first time this year… good to see some of the old faces back :-)

I seem to remember having some good luck early on, then letting it dribble away towards the end.   At one point I was worried about making the final table even but luckily for me, Sean and Alex were busy on the other table taking people out and with Karen's cautious play seeing her taken out and Andy’s over aggression getting him taken out in quick succession on my table, we had only 7 for the final table

Martin was pretty short stacked, so I thought I might squeeze into 6th place, but although Martin was first to fall I managed to win a couple of pots and got it up to average stack.   With Roger going out, then Lee and Bill both being taken out by a very aggressive Alex, I suddenly find myself falling into a cash paying position (albeit massive short stack)!

With time running out and being so low on chips, I pushed the panic button and did get quite lucky and crept into 2nd place just above Sean at one point….. unfortunately it didn’t last and got done by Sean.

With three hands to play, there was only 100 chips between the last two… so all to play for.     A very tense last few hands saw Sean win by a tiny margin, but was well fought to the end

The £10 special always sees a very different style of play and today was no different, with solid play throughout.  Back to manic shoving and rebuying next month :-)

No comments: