Friday, February 06, 2009

Poker: Home Tournament -February 2009

Wow, where do I start ?   Another great game had by all.... a big crowd as well, with Jock and another long term no show, Jon both turning up ;-) so 15 players for the off.

I started off well, with my normal careful start I hit the flop and tripled up which gave me a nice stack to sit back and relax with.    Sean had his normal rebuy every hand kind of start and chips were flying everywhere in the early stages.  Lee also made a good start and got a heap of chips early on.  

Oddly enough both Lee and my stacks seemed to dwindle towards the break, with Steve W and Bill getting the chips.   The hand before the break saw me with A6 and under 1000 chips, so decided may as well stick them in.  I wasn't that worried by Bill's call, but Steve W also went for it.  Turned out Bill was the one to worry about, as his pocket K became quad K by the turn and Bill now has huge chip stack.

After the break, Mick was the first to go- busted by Darren but my luck changed for the better.   Can't remember all the hands now, but I think it was when I busted Jock that my Pocket 4's ended up quads !   The other table also had quad Q's so seemed the pattern of the night...

As the numbers dwindled, I hit another couple of hands and we even saw both Bill and Sean folding post-flop ! but the net effect was that my chips stack was around the 10'000 mark for a good while.  

With 9 players left, Lee was in the Small Blind of 500 leaving him 100 behind.   He astutely folded and found himself outlasting Alex, so maintained his 100% record of points finishes, now a run of 7 games !     His luck ran out on the final table, finding himself on the Big Blind but was impressive finish nevertheless

Having dispatched Lee from the final table, the Big Blind fell to Andy who had less chips than the Big Blind, and Darren promptly dispatched Andy as well !    Steve W was next in line but managed to survive the onslaught.    Peace did not last long, as with Simon all-in on the big blind I raised with A8   Bill called for his few extra chips so three showed their cards...Bill was ahead with A9 and Simon has A2 so looke3d rosy for Bill.  Unfortunately my 8 was the first card shown on the flop and no-one improved so I took out two more players and was very close to chip lead with Derek

With the blinds at 2000/1000, 4 players and Steve W short stacked it was never going to last long... sure enough Steve W got taken out by Darren leaving three for the money and about 10 minutes to play.   I hit a bad run and gave a load of chips to Darren, leaving me in 3rd place with around 10'000 chips.    I then got pocket 8's and raised, with Darren calling me with KJ.  a J spelt disaster for me and I'm out in 3rd.     Felt I played OK but was gutted not to finish better

The final two played for a couple more hands before Derek succumbed to the inevitable 2nd place, Darren taking a deserved victory

It was a great game with lots going on... I know I say that every month but its true !!   That's why we all will be back for more next month :-)

No comments: