Saturday, May 27, 2006

Cars: motor racing at Thruxton


My old car, now being raced by Samir. Looks a lot cleaner and neater than when I owned it !

Took the wife to Thruxton today to watch the 750mc meeting. The weather forecast was a bit grim, but it looked OK in the morning and we went prepared for the wet.

Remembered to take my 750mc membership card as I presumed I would get discount to enter the circuit. To my surprise and dismay, Thruxton don't offer any concessions to 750mc members, even at a exclusive 750mc meeting! So that's £24 to get in for two people then....

Went into the paddock and first thing I saw was Samir and my old car... had a good look at the modifications to the car and chatted to Samir who seemed pleased to be racing (did feel a bit sad at not being there to race !) We had turned up in time to watch the Locost qualifying, but they were running early so had just missed it, oh well never mind.

Then went to look at the grandstand and to my amazement you have to pay another £7 each to sit on what looked like a windswept concrete step.... even Silverstone don't charge extra to use the grandstands and they are the real thing ! so we gave that a miss

Once the racing started we decided to walk around the circuit to get familiar with the viewing points. There was some good viewing of the complex out on the banking, but you can only walk a short way round the circuit - come on Thruxton get your act together, it was really disappointing not be be able to go all the way around. Most other circuits manage to get spectators all the way round.

The rain started in earnest during the Formula Vee race, which put a bit of a damper on the proceedings, although made the racing more exciting with spins all over the place.

In the end we decided to leave early as the wind and rain were really starting to bite, and the racing was getting a bit tip toe (which is understandable in the circumstances, especially the Caterhams)

All in all, the meeting was a slight disappointment due to the weather but was glad we made the effort to go and see my old car. I did feel ripped off by Thruxton for no concessions to 750mc members and the charging for the grandstands. Although it is my local circuit, I really doubt I will be going back to spectate. Castle Coombe and Brands Hatch are far superior in the facilities they offer spectators and are not much further to go for me.

No comments: