Monday, August 28, 2006

Cars: Lotus track experience

Elise


Exige

Europa

I finally got to go on my "Scare yourself sensible" experience last Saturday. (http://www.grouplotus.com/media/car/doc/LOW%20RES%20SYS.pdf) You are not allowed cameras on site, so put some "official" photos above....

Just being at the Lotus factory was an experience in itself, with unregistered cars lined up ready to go to the lucky new owners.

The 8am start wasn't too bad as we stayed in a hotel about 10 minutes away, but still felt a bit tired. Coffee was available at signing on to wake everyone up, and the sight of the first few people going out got the adrenaline rushing as well

At last it was my turn to go out on track. We were in showroom standard Lotus Elise 111S which was a little surprising, not even a 4 point harness, but it didn't detract from the experience at all. The track was a bit tricky to remember, particularly the 2nd half which had lots of twists and turns. Despite my confidence that I knew roughly what to do, I was driving quite carefully and trying to listen to the instructor telling me what I did wrong on the last bend, whilst rapidly approaching the next, not easy to do ! To my disbelief the instructor told me to turn off the track, but the 20 minute session was up already, it really only seemed like 5 minutes had passed. Really was a great session, but clearly leaves you hankering for more.

We both then went round the Lotus factory tour. Despite having no engineering experience (or real interest) I found the tour extremely interesting. We saw the cars being assembled from the basic glued chassis right through the process to the finished car. The tour guide was extremely knowledgeable and open about their processes and products, and you really feel you are getting into the guts of the production process (you are even encouraged at certain points to touch and feel) The favourite part of the tour must be wandering around a selection of finished cars, deciding which options and colours you will have on your own Lotus !

Despite the brief drive, I really felt we got value for money and came away wanting more driving and desperate to order a new Lotus. I am now saving up for the one day "Driver Training" day (http://www.grouplotus.com/media/car/oth/Driver%20Training%202006.pdf) and a Lotus Exige (or a Europa if the Wife gets her way, although this type of argument I almost look forward too ;-) )

No comments: