Sunday, September 03, 2006

Poker: APAT online tournament

Circumstances combined to allow me to enter APATs "Italian Amateur Poker Open" online tournament yesterday.

Wasn't quite sure how many people would have entered, as normally I wouldn't have much chance to play poker online on a Saturday night ! As it turned out, there were 206 entrants.

I played pretty steadily and managed to stay above the average chip count for the first couple of hours without much problem. Stayed out of trouble and played selected hands with aggression, which seemed to work OK.

In the third hour, my 20'000 chips represented just below the average chip count, and the blinds + ante were around 10 times my stack, so decided I needed to get a bit busier. Unfortunately I seemed to choose the wrong moment to make a move... although AJ under the gun isn't a great hand, decided to make a standard raise. One player re-raised me and as he only had another 2000 chips decided to put him all in. He had AK which stood up and I was down to 10'000 chips. Next hand I was on the big blind and got dealt KK, great I thought, will get some chips back.... but no, everyone folded (including the small blind) ! On the small blind I got dealt KQ. Everyone folded round to a late position who raised. Everyone folded to me, so decided he was trying to steal so went all in. AS it happened he had QQ so blitzed me and I was down to 250 chips.. Now on the button my 87 suited was enough to go all in but never stood a chance

Ended up finishing 57 of the 206 runners, so not too bad, but those two key hands really did me in. I should've just called the AJ to see what happened, but my small mistake there cost me the possibility of a good finished. (well, that and my moment of madness with KQ :-) )

Oh well that's Poker :-)

No comments: