Friday, October 20, 2006

Poker: Farnborough Club - Oct 2006

Went to TC Poker club (http://www.tcpoker.co.uk/) to play in the £50 NL 2nd chance Freezeout Hold'em tournament last night....well actually, I went to play in the Sit'n'Go games but they are "fine tuning" the games and structures to meet the needs of the players (which is a good thing of course :-) )

The White clan turned up in force as well as Alex, so the CamberleyBoyz were well represented. Luckily for my health and job prospects, there were only 20 entrants so was looking hopeful that the game wouldn't go on to the early hours...

There were two tables of 10, with Alex, Jon, Simon and Andrews father in-law (Jo) all on my table. There was also Samir (a club regular) on my table..... who is a great guy but talks the hind legs off a donkey and seems to play any two cards. Samir and Simon's banter was highly entertaining and almost worth paying £50 just to sit and listen.

The tournament itself was very exciting for me.... around the third hand in I got AQ and raised in early position, the button called then Samir re-raised another 800. I was happy to battle with Samir, but though the button would have a good hand so went all-in. The button folded but Samir showed KK, so I was in trouble. Despite getting a straight draw on the flop my chips were gone and had to use my "2nd chance" to replenish the chips.

The very next hand I got AK so raised. The guy next to me called and the rest of the table folded. When the King hit I decided to bet, but got re-raised all-in. I had to call but was a bit nervous about my prospects.... as it turned out we both had AK so split the pot.... I was quite happy to still have chips !

Couple of hands later I was on the button with 97 suited so called after a couple of other callers. The flop came 9 high rags giving me top pair and a middle pin straight draw, so when it checked to me I put in smallish bet. The big blind re-raised and it folded to me, so I called. The turn came a Q and we both checked.... the river made me a straight so we both ended up all in. Sure enough we had both hit the straight so another split pot.

After that it was a relief to get bad cards for a while, as it is unlike me to be all-in three times in the first 8 hands of a tournament !!

It was all quiet for me until after the break when I got dealt AQ suited. I raised and got called by Simon and Alex. The flop came queen high so when checked to me I went all-in for my remaining 1200 odd chips. Simon thought for a long time then called and Alex called quickly, worrying me for a few seconds until another Q came on the turn! Alex went all-in and Simon called. Simon needed a miracle and Alex has KQ so wasn't far behind needing a miracle, but the river paired the board giving Alex and me a full house and another split pot !! Had I won that hand I would have had over 6000 chips and been well in the game, but as it was I was still the lowest chip count. Oh well, at least I had chips.....

My final hand came against Jon soon after..... I got AK on the big blind and raised 800 into the 600 pot. Jon thought for a while then called, so thought he must have a pair.... the flop came Jack high so I checked. Jon bet 800. Jon was obviously ahead but I was getting 4-1 odds and didn't really have enough chips left back to fold so went all-in. Jon had called my raised with JQ and won with his jacks. I guess he thought I was stealing pre-flop :-)

I was about 16th of 20, which is not a great result but some fun and a story to tell, so will be back

Alex ended up finishing 5th with Jon and Jo both finishing in the money so not a bad night for the Boyz....

However the night was not over for me as there was a cash game going on. I played really tightly as the table was very loose, but didn't really get a hand. After half an hour I hadn't played many pots and never got past the flop when I got dealt pocket J's so raised pre-flop. Got one caller then Joe re-raised for most of my bankroll. Decided to go all-in and only Joe called, showing pocket Aces.... so I went home :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, just to let you know that I finished in 2nd place and it took until nearly 2am to get there, phew !!!!

Sorry to hear about your cash game exploits, but I think Joe went home not long after you so I have to think he also left without any more cash :( As did Simon :(

I think Andy ended up quids in from the cash game, about 300 quid up !!

Until next time :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, thanks for organising another great night :)

I changed my strategy considerably to my normal style & played very conservatively, as you know. It seemed to pay off as I was consistent all night & only had a few minor scares until the chips eventually ran out for me in 5th place :(

Still I enjoyed the night emmensely & I'm already looking forward to our next Thurs night session :)

Well done Jon & Jo. Some excellent cards played by all.