Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Music: Converting vinyl album collection to CD / Digital




I was on the cusp of ordering the Ion USB Record Deck (http://www.ion-audio.com/index.php) when I came read a review criticizing it for it's price, when an alternative is to simply plug in your existing Record Deck to your PC. I guess this wouldn't appeal to most people (and didn't originally appeal to me) but having unexpectedly bought my new Dell PC with Vista and Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic card (http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&product=14066&subcategory=208), combined with the fact that I was trying to get rid of my old HiFi..... suddenly it dawned on me that I probably had everything I needed already. The only inconvenience is the size of the Amp and Record Deck, but then the USB record deck is not going to be small.... so I set out on my mission

I found some step-by-step instructions this URL (http://www.br0wn.co.uk/vinyltocd.htm) Ironically I knew I had the converter for Phono to 3.5mm jack, but couldn't find it.. so bought one from Maplin for a couple of quid (http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=34196&doy=11m4)

I connected up my record deck to the Amp and then the Amp Tape out sockets to the 3.5 jack on my Creative Soundblaster Xtreme card (see photo above) I also ensured I had selected Phono as the recording output and I think that is it.....although of course the phono cable wasn't long enough so had the Amp and record deck on the floor, but ordered another cable from Maplin !! (http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=31700&doy=11m4)

Having got the hardware sorted out, I downloaded some software as per the step-by-step guide.... but then suddenly thought I probably had some creative software already installed.... so a quick search discovered the software (see screen shot above) so just had to figure out how to set it up.

Used the THX Setup Console to switch to Audio Creation Mode mode and got the groovy looking screen when I launched the Console Launcher. I then started playing the record and heard my Album through the PC speakers !! Wow that was easier than I thought !
So now to record an album to PC I need to do the following:-
- Launch Creative Console Launcher
- Make sure I remembered to switch on the Amp
- Cue the record to start playing
- In the Console, set the Monitor to "Record" (to make sure I am in the right view)
- Hit the REC button in the Console as I lower the needle to the record
Once captured... I want to dump the output to CD, for which I simply use the Roxio Easy Creator Suite also included with Vista. I can edit the WMA files with WaveStudio (also included :-) ) if I want to... I did first time in order to split up the tracks, but not sure I am that fussed really.... will see how that goes
All in all, Windows Vista and Creative combined have made the task actually quite easy (in my view) !
For my birthday I am getting a Creative MP3 player and Belkin Wireless transmitter so I can listen to more music in the car.... really getting into this technology lark now :-)

No comments: