Friday, June 08, 2007

Poker: Home Tournament : June 2007

Fourteen players start this epic battle. The NL Freezeout game has definitely become a much different animal to the Pot Limit rebuy games and everyone is keen to do well and not go home early (although some people are more successful at achieving this than others as we will see...)

On my table, first hand I get dealt KK in the Big Blind so raise 300 and get three callers ! Fortunately the flop comes with a K but has straight and flush draws possible so decide to bet out large and pick up a great pot After that I fritter away chips gradually as no hands come to me.

Roger is playing a blinder of a game and knocks out Andy early on. In fairness, Andy's all in move with nothing more than Ace high may have been a little reckless as Roger's two pair actually wins him a huge pot for a change ! A few hands later I am drawing for a straight on the flop but decide to bet out and only Roger calls. Turn is K to make my straight but is a third spade... both me and Roger check and with the river being a blank I check again and Roger puts in a Pot sized bet. I cannot decide what Roger would have and being 2nd chip leader to Roger decide to fold rather than risk 25% of my chips. It doesn't all go Rogers way when the flop comes three clubs with four players in. After a round of checks, the turn is another club.... and the river makes a flush on the board so everyone takes their money back.... with Roger showing his pocket Aces

My luck kicks in again and start making hands. After raising pre-flop, I make top pair on the flop and bet strongly which only Simon calls. I am wondering what he has so check the turn and river, with Simon showing A high so I take a large pot again.

As the blinds increase we start loosing players but it takes until after the 2nd break before we see the final table (with only 35 mins left to play) I am probably chip leader with around 15000 in chips, Bill is close behind and there are 2 or 3 short stacks with the remaining players having around 3-4000

It is not long before we have our first knockout. The flop comes 6 high with just the blinds in, Simon goes all in with A-6 and gets called by Bill with K-6. It looks like Simon has doubled up until Bill hits his K on the river to take Simon out. Soon after, there are four limpers to a raggedy flop and everyone checks. My Q-6 looks a bit better when a 6 comes on the turn, but still everyone checks. The Q on the river gives me what should be the winning hand, so when Joe puts in 1000 bet I am happy to raise it up, which he calls. My 2 pair hold up and Joe is out in 7th

It starts to become a bit of a crapshoot with small stacks going in all over the place. Andy W goes all-in and I am happy to call with my pocket Aces, but his K-5 cracks the aces when he makes two pair on the river. I also manage to double Jon up so my stack is starting to look vulnerable and a 4th place finish is on the cards for me !!

Luckily for me, Jon doesn't get any luck and goes out in 4th. With 3 players left and three hands to play it gets tense, but Andy goes all-in and my 8-3 goes in the bin to give him a slight lead in chips over me, but Bill is slightly ahead at this stage. The next hand Andy goes all-in again, this time I decide my K-4 is good for a punt and Bill dips out of the big blind. Unfortunately I am dominated by K-Q so have to settle for 3rd. This win gives Andy enough chips to win by folding the last hand and it is all over for another month

I was up and down all over the place, having good luck and bad... but overall am happy to be in the money places for the first time this year. We had it all tonight... bad beats, slow play and general riotous behaviour so another great game, with lots of action.

No comments: