Sunday, June 24, 2007

Poker: Ladbroke Cruise : weekly final update

Further to my previous post (http://sceaga.blogspot.com/2007/06/poker-ladbrokes-cruise-some-progress.html) I played in the Weekly Final today.

38 players started, giving 3 cruise tickets and 3 cash prizes for the top 6 finishers.

I started the game actually feeling quite nervous, but determined to do well.

The first hand I was on the button and with Q-8 decided to limp in as everyone else had folded. An 8 came on the flop so bet out when the blinds folded and took down the first pot... always a good feeling and gives initial confidence. I got dealt pocket Tens the next hand so raised pre-flop and just got 2 callers. The flop came with two diamonds, so decided to bet out when checked to me but both players called. The turn came another ten, so was confident I must be ahead so bet out again after both players checked, and this time only 1 called. The river was another diamond, and the player before me bet out half the pot...... I knew in my heart he made the flush but had to call and sure enough he had hit his 18% chance so I'm down to 1800 chips already (from 3000 starting point)

I didn't panic at this stage and played steady solid poker and managed to get back up to 2800 before having a couple of bad hands and slipped back to around 2200 again. Then I had some luck.... with an A-8 on the button I limped in and three diamonds came on the flop, and everyone checked. Another diamond came on the turn and I nearly missed I had made a Straight Flush !! To my joy the first player bet minimum amount and was called, so I made a small raise as I thought at least one would call... but no... they both folded so didn't make any money on my massive hand

After that I struggled but maintained over 2000 chips... although this represented the bottom 5 places....

After 50 minutes play, I got pocket nines in late position and although there was an initial raise, this player had been quite loose (he had all my chips in the second hand) so decided to re-raise and only he called. The flop came Q-8-8 so when he checked I decided to bet half the pot, but he re-raised me all-in. I only had around 900 chips back, and although he had been quite bullying on the table suspected I had to be behind.... but decided to call anyway. Sure enough he had A-Q and I went out in 31st place :-(

Bit of a shame it didn't work out, but on the bright side, do have a reasonable amount towards the next daily final... so will have another crack at it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, shame about the straight flush missing out on getting a big pot for you, next time just call.

As for the second hand on trip tens, in future if you gut instinct tells you he made the flush then throw the hand away and wait for a better spot.

Keep at it I am sure you have a cruise ticket in you.

Jon

Mike Shaw said...

Thanks mate, I am confident to getting another pop at it.... next time I will make sure I am not away the weekend I am scheduled to play !! Hindsight iis a wonderful thing, but I do think I played rubbish now :-)

Anonymous said...

Well I have managed to make it into a daily final today, will send an update later tonight if I manage to get into the weekly final.

In case you look my nickname is Rykan.

Jon

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, further update on Cruise Satelites.

After coming 3rd in my 1st one I ended up winning the 2nd one and got a place in the daily final.

Believe it or not I now have a ticket for the weekly final on Sunday.

So lets see how close I can get to that elusive Cruise ticket :)

Mike Shaw said...

Oh wow - go for it... fingers crossed for you

I came 7th last week in my daily final (6th paid some money !)

Anonymous said...

Ok so weekly final had 30 players, and I held my own pretty well. Was in 2nd at 1st break and 4th at 2nd break. Got to the final table which was pretty level except for one gut with about a 3rd of chips in play. I was in 2nd for a while but eventually got to an all in decision against former chip leader who had just blown off 10K and I made the right call 8's against his flush draw, and wouldn't you believe the bugger got it on the river. Can't believe I got so close to a Cruise ticket. Oh well, onwards and upwards I can hold my head up high.

Jon

Mike Shaw said...

Its tough getting so near (yet so far) but sounds like you played a good game. When the blinds get sohigh at the end it becomes a lottery anyway, so you doubtless had to go for it

There is still time for us both to qualify :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, just thought I'd let you know I have managed win another satelite and make it to another Daily Final. So will see how I get on tonight and let you know here, hopefully I can make a second weekly final as well.

Anonymous said...

Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be today. Had a couple of bad run ins early on and ended up low chipped for the back end of the game. Came in 14th out of 31 players.

Mike Shaw said...

Bad luck.... keep trying ;-)

I am still struggling to build up my bankroll again... had a good run last night, then in my big game, flopped trip Jacks, then got done by a 2 outer on the river... undone all my previous hard work and ended up $3 up on the day for 3 hours playing :-)