Friday, April 11, 2008

Poker : Annual Satellite 2008 : Heat 1

My heat was the first to run and turned out to be an exciting affair. The evening got off to a friendly start with everyone limping into the first couple of hands. Overall the play was tight, which made for a tense game.

I started out well and built my stack up, but later played a couple of hands against Lynn where I was drawing and her pair held up to take away my chips putting me back to starting levels, that will teach me to try to fool the wife !

A key hand early on was my AJ against Simons AT when an A fell on the flop. The board cards were a little scary for both of us so the betting was steady rather than aggressive, but my kicker played and got my stack back.

Derek played a large hand against Lynn, but Lynn's inspired calling found her pair holding up against Derek and Lynn had a good size stack as well.

Simon was the first victim when his pocket A's got stuffed by Steve hitting a second pair on the River taking Simon out and giving Steve the chip lead.

At the break Steve was around 6000 chips, I was 5000, Lynn was 6000 and Derek was low stack with about 3000

As the blinds increased, the play became more cautious until two good hands came along. Derek decided pocket Q's was a good hand and decided to play with Lynn calling his raise. The river didn't look too scary so Derek went all in. Lynn thought about it then called with Ax Unluckily for Derek an A came and took him out in 4th.

The blinds went up again and are becoming significant to all players. Lynn called from the small blind and I checked my 7-8 suited. The flop came an unbelievable 4-5-6 flopping me the straight! I bet after Lynn checked but she called. The turn was a 9 giving me a higher straight, but I bet a reasonably large amount and was slightly concerned that Lynn called again. The river was a K with no flush possible so I had the nuts and went all in when Lynn checked. She called again and revealed a Straight draw so I took a huge pot, leaving us heads up

Steve had around 6000 chips to my 14000. Steve played it cool and the battle was tough. My more aggressive style probably gave me an edge (as well as the edge of having twice as many chips of course !) After a bit of give and take, Steve seemed to not get any playable cards, so I accumulated chips from the large blinds. In the end Steve has no choice but to go all-in and I had no choice but to call. My 6-4 didn't look good, but was favorite against Steve's 5-3 !! I hit a 4 on the flop and took the game

Everyone played well so was an exciting game, but I can't wait for the final table now :-)

No comments: