Friday, April 04, 2008

Poker: Home Tournament - April 2008

Everyone got their priorities right tonight, wives and jobs took second place and turned out for Poker instead :-)

For me, it was one of those nights where nothing seemed to go my way...... everyone on my table seemed to be in mellow mood so lots of limping and calling going on. I got a couple of decent starting hands in the early stages and raised but got called. Raised a couple of times with dodgy hands and got called (and then either got called all the way to the showdown, or I was put under pressure and folded) so my timing was not good !

At the break I had around 1200 in chips but felt good when I managed to double up with a legitimate hand in the first few hands. Just when things looked good and was accumulating chips, I hit two pair on the flop with A-2 in my hand for a A-2-3 flop. Went all-in and got called by Bill who had 9-5 (they were suited) and of course a 4 came of the River to send me out in 10th.

The game got quite bloody very quickly after that and we were soon down to a final table of 7, after Andy trounced his opposition on the other table to me. Incredibly Mick had the foresight to not stick his last 100 chip in when on the small blind and he was on the final table with a minimum of 2 points. Despite a gallant fightback he finished 7th when the Big blind came round

Things settled down a a short while, until Alex got a good hand and busted out Simon and Bill. It was tense for the final four, but then Andy got going again and busted out both Jon and Steve in one go, leaving us heads-up

The final battle was tight and tense, with only 500 chips between them. Most people were watching the action, well at least until free sandwiches were offered, then everyone went to get some grub ! The chip counts remained close for several hands until Alex made a move pre-flop but Andy went over the top. When Alex folded Andy showed pocket A so I was not the only one with bad timing tonight ! After that it was soon over and Andy took a well deserved win.

Despite a disappointing result for me this time, it was a great night of poker and looking forward to getting myself into a league dominating position with a good show next month !

No comments: