Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Poker : not a bad evenings play (it isn’t really work is it!)

I decided not to do a deep stack tourney today as it takes ages and I feel like I need my sleep this week !

Started off with a nice simple STT warm up game ($20) with 9 players, which got the blood flowing nicely, especially when I cashed in by getting 3rd place

After such a promising start, moved onto MTT with a 128 seater HORSE tourney, but had horrid cards and blew out in 118th place after 45 mins  (actually quite tricky to loose all your chips that quickly in a limit game !)

The main event was meant to be a $22 MTT with 1206 players.   I made a good start, but saw several rubbish hands that I threw away become monsters… saw several straights, couple of flushes and flopped two full houses (had I not thrown away the cards of course) and in the end only lasted a frustrated 55 mins and got to 755th place.   Did feel I was playing quite well, but the cards were not landing for me (or when they did, it was after I threw away my rubbish hand)

Just to blow off some steam, decided to enter the $4 MTT 180 player tournament.  Things started off OK, but then started a roller coaster ride, whereby my stack grew, then I got into a fight with someone and lost a load of chips, then built up the stack again and then lost a load… again I was seeing rubbish cards develop into a monster hand, with another flopped Full House thrown away in the first hour.   Luckily I was patient and by the first break (after 1 hour) was 11th with 6’048 chips out of 64 players (avg=4218)

Things were settling down and was able to focus and take control of the game (well most of the time anyway)   The end of the 2nd hour saw me in 5th with 11’739 chips (out of 30 player and avg=9000) and my low point after that was 7th at the 3 hour break.   By level 15 was 4th from 15 players and in the money, but the players dropped quickly after that and by the next level we had only 8 left and I was still in 4th    There were a few ups and downs for me, but the luck came to me when needed and didn’t hurt me too badly when it went against me, so after 4 hours was in 2nd place out of the remaining 3 players

I was not expecting to win, but got heads up with around 110’000 to 160’000 chips to my opponent   The heads up didn’t last too long, I managed to hit my hand after going all-in behind on the flop which put me in a really strong position, then couple of hands later called my opponents all-in when I had A-J against his 9-8 and the A on the flop was enough to see me to victory (in only 4hours 25 mins) !  

For what I thought would be a quick blast of a game, it turned into a marathon, but did gave me a healthy boost to my poker fund, getting $216 for the $4 investment…. I seem to be going through a purple patch at the moment, just hope it lasts a while longer :-)

No comments: