Friday, December 04, 2009

Poker : Home tournament – end of season reflections

The 2009 season seems to have been a success from an organisation point of view :-)    Everyone seems to enjoy themselves, some new faces have joined us to keep a good dynamic and mix up the play, and the mix of games seems about right.   

The standard of play generally also seems to be increasing so the new rules for next year are coming in at a good time

For me personally, 2009 seems to be a bit of a breakthrough year for my Poker game (at last!) and my second league win in a row showcases my better recent performances.   My average finish of 5th place was significantly dragged down by Sean’s double bad beats on me in March (Yes, I still remember ;-) ) so although being slightly worse than my 4.8 average last year, feel I played a lot better overall this year.   Like Jenson Button, I did most of my good work early in the season so a slightly lacklustre end to the season for me just kept it interesting until the end of the year.

Most people got a cash finish during the year, with Andy being the most experienced exception, despite his 7 points paying finishes! but in the end was not an expensive season for anyone (not for the Poker anyway!)

Our two newbie's Daniel and Janice both made a big splash… Daniel for his two 5th places in 3 games and Janice’s maiden victory which certainly caught our attention !

Other noteworthy performances this year (in my opinion) were Darren for his 4.9 average finish (bettered only by Janice’s 1st place average)  and Lee who had an impressive end to the season, but was let down by a few poor results in the summer after a solid start

Whilst in a mood to look back…. having forgotten the history of our gatherings when asked about it, I just had to look back on the previous years results.   We started the “CamberleyBoyz” in 2002 (16 month season ending Dec ‘02) having been inspired by watching Late Night Poker on TV.  The previous league victors  have been:-

2002 – Bill (5 wins during the season)
2003 – Andy (8 wins)
2004 – Jon (1 win)
2005 – Alex (4 wins)
2006 – Simon W (3 wins)
2007 – Jon (1 win)
2008 – Mike (3 wins)
2009 – Mike (3 wins)

The rules changes for 2010 should shake things up a bit and make things a bit more interesting, so am already looking forward to the first game of the season and my change to make it three in a row :-)

Good luck and see you soon……

No comments: