Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Poker: First "big” live tournament

Black-Belt-London-Live-Promo

I was planning to try and satellite my way into the Black Belt Poker London Live II event anyway, but having got my windfall win thought I would just buy my way in directly.

Having said that, decided would give the satellite one more try.   I’d had one “free” go at the satellite (using my BBP points) back in January but hadn’t got around to trying again, so had another go last night.    There were 62 players each putting in $44 (or won their seat in the $5 or $1 feeder tournaments) and top 4 win their seat in the London Live event.  

In brief, I didn’t start well, then had a run of cards and was in the top 3, then after being very patient and feeling in control, with 6 players left had an incredible run of bad luck, being rivered on two big hands leaving me with about 7 BB.  Seeing ATo I decided to shove (as you do) only to be called by KK which took me out.   Although I got back $42 in prize money, I felt like I was cheated out of my seat by the Poker gods! 

No matter, as I bought directly into Day 1a (Friday 1st January) for $275 (£169)   Although I’ve played £200 buy-in before, this will be the biggest tournament I’ve ever played in from a player number and duration perspective.    Assuming it sells out (which it should do) there will be a total of 400 players (split over two starting days) then a second day of play on the Sunday for the survivors.    The first day is scheduled to run from Midday to Midnight so will be a long day (assuming I get that far!)

Not knowing when I will get knocked out makes the logistics quite tricky.      The last train back from Paddington is 10:30pm then the next one is 1:45am but only gets me to Reading (unless I want to wait 90 mins for the connecting train) so if I do well will be tricky to get home!   I might drive in, but can only imagine the horrors of finding a car park space, paying for it ! then the ignominy of facing rush hour traffic on a Friday night if I get knocked out in the early afternoon.     It’s a small price to pay for being able to play in this tournament though… and will be using the experience as a taster for Brighton UKIPT Smile   (Actually the logistics for Brighton are a lot easier as will have to stay in a hotel for sure)

I am looking forward to this tournament very much and now I’ve registered for my seat and got the travel arrangements (kindof) sorted, it can’t come quick enough.  Roll on April!

No comments: