Friday, February 04, 2011

Poker: Home Tourney–February 2011

Another good turnout this month and for some reason the whole game was filled with all kinds of craziness and emotions.   Just your average game of Poker then Smile

On my table Andy started to get his backers worried by having about three double buy-in’s in the first level, but then it was Derek’s turn to start racking up the double buy-in’s, easy surpassing Andy’s relatively meagre number.   

My game started out well enough, with A-K hitting a K on the flop and getting a good haul of chips and soon after Q-Q took an even bigger pot and put me firmly in the chip lead with around 10’000 chips in the first level.   After that I was fairly low key, picking my spots, but with most flops having 4 callers no matter what the action, it was difficult to be too tricky.   For this reason I limped Q-Q UTG and there were 5 for the A-x-x flop.   Karen on my right and in Big Blind led out so I immediately folded.  She did get one caller and won the pot with her A-Q !   I must’ve sensed her cards as that one could’ve got messy for me..    Q-Q is my hand of the night, as in the second level I get Q-Q again and make a big raise.   Andy comes over the top and shows A-K   Sadly for me Andy hit the K and I’m down to around 7000 chips, being slightly over average stack at this point.

With the last rebuy approaching, Jon joins Derek in the double rebuy derby but has left it too late to win the most rebuys of the night (I think Derek won that easily!)

By the break I am around 12’000 chips and with the average around 10’000  

I manage to go card dead so am patiently waiting for a good spot.   With Roger to my left, on the odd occasion it folds to me in the Small Blind, I attack Rogers BB with any two and take blinds uncontested, but otherwise have to have a hand to see a flop with the game dynamic as it is

It’s all tense and chips move around the table, but after a couple of blind increases, short stacked Jon finds himself all-in with A-4s against Derek who’s got A-A  so Jon’s out first but gets the £1 bounty from Lee (as Lee isn’t playing)   Simon soon joins him as next out, so missed the bounty by about 2 minutes !

As there’s so many chips in play, it takes until the next blind level before we see another player out.   Derek shoves into my BB and I’ve got Q-9o   Its about 3000 more, leaves me around 7000 chips if  loose, Derek could be pushing with any two high cards and there’s a £5 bounty for knocking him out, so I call Smile   I’ve got my chips in very badly, as he shows A-Q but hit my 9 on the flop and am lucky to take Derek out and win the fiver!

We’re into the second last level of 2000/1000 blinds and still have 10 players !   Only Darren gets knocked out this level, so the last blind level sees us playing 9 handed.    As it turned out, Bill goes out fairly quickly and at last we have the final table

With blinds at 4000/2000 and average stack is around 16000, things should be happening quickly now.   I’ve got 12000 and am in the big blind Sad smile     Andy on my left goes all-in first hand and takes out Steve W who was all-in on the BB anyway.    The next hand I look down at Q-Q (again!)   Mick and Karen call, so I shove all-in.  Andy immediately calls, then Mick calls but Karen ducks out.   Mick shows A-2h and Andy T-9s.  My sense of foreboding doesn’t improve when there are two hearts and a 9 on the flop.   The heart on the turn seals my fate and I’m out.

At the end of normal time we still have 6 players left in !!   Andy is down to about 2000 chips and is taken out by Roger.      Then Roger gets taken out by Alex.  The last hand was between short stack Sean and Mick who had 2nd locked up anyway.  The last had was a bizarre and fitting end to a weird and wonderful game, when the flop came Q,T,9 diamonds, then K diamonds on the turn and the J diamonds on the river gives both players the K high straight flush on the board!

Wow, fantastic, weird and wonderful game even by our own standards, what on earth is gonna happen at next months £10 special ? !!

No comments: