Monday, March 28, 2011

Poker: game at Farnborough Poker Club

I managed to squeeze in another live game before London Live by going back to Sovereign Poker Club in Farnborough for their Friday night game

frinov

There were 47 runners and the top 5 pay out.

I decided to play cautious/passive to begin with, especially with a loose aggro player to my immediate right, who seemed to be getting involved with a lot of pots. 

My night didn’t start too well though as making top pair on flop with 4 players, played too passively and let a flush draw bet the flop and turn, before hitting their flush on the river.  Then my aggro friend to my right raised pre-flop against my big blind so we saw the flop   My A-8 hadn't improved so checked behind and just called his turn and flop bets.   Turned out I was right that he didn’t have much but sadly his 5-3o had hit trips on the turn !     I guess that’s the problem with playing passively….

I had done half my stack by the middle of the second level, so wanted to bust or double up.   My aggro friend again raised by Big Blind so decided to re-raise all-in with A-T spades.   Luckily for me, only he called showing a decent hand this time but was K-Q spades making me a decent favourite.   The K on the flop saw me needing to buy-in rather than doubling up though Sad smile

I did have some good fortune though, as just before the break a tight player raised from the button and decided to call from the blind with T-9 hearts.   I flopped  an up and down straight so called the cBet and got the straight on the turn, phew at last !  

The first break saw me on 14’600 chips with the average at 12’368 so not too bad

After the break there are no more re-entries… but my loose aggro nemesis donks off all his chips and is out… sadly not to me though

T-9s seems to be my hand of the night as again in the blind decide to call a raise from tight player with it, but this time hit a flush draw.   His cBet scares off two other players who saw the flop, but I call and we both check the blank turn (the board paired)  HE put me all-in when I make my flush, and although do agonise for a few minutes, decide I can’t fold and am relieved he mucks his cards (showing A hearts)   This puts me to over 30’000 chips and am over double the average

After sitting back and picking my spots, get A-K diamonds UTG and decide to limp, hoping a short stack in late position will shove (he’d been getting more active in the last round) but actually a medium stack in early position shoves.  I know he’s quite tight so it might be a race, but have played my hand to call an all-in so do just that and am up against A-Qo so massive favourite.   Of course neither improve until the river, when he hit’’s his 3 outer and I’m back down to about 12’ooo chips (about 11 big blinds)

I can’t hang around with this chip stack size, and although make a couple of all-ins over the next couple of rounds and take the blinds, in the end I get A-Jo all-in against K-K and the K on the flop see’s me out in 24th place

Of course you can’t win them all, but if my 94% chance (AK-AQ) had held up then I feel I would have been a big favourite to cash again.   Overall I think I played pretty well, although a couple of my early passive hands should’ve been played more aggressively for a better outcome.     

London Live is my next live game, so just hope I can maintain focus and not make any stupid mistakes… roll on Friday !!

No comments: