Friday, March 02, 2012

Poker: Home Tourney–March 2012

PokerChips

Although both types of game we play in the league are good in their own right, I probably look forward to the quarterly £10 special more than the rebuy.   Tonight was no exception and had high hopes for my own performance… mainly based on the fact that I’d had rubbish luck all week, so was bound to change… right ? Smile

Started out steady enough.  Had a couple of run in’s with Bill where he called down expecting to hit his three outer on the river and doing so !   Then got into a big hand against Bill with 3 hearts on the flop.   I was sure I was ahead of his range, but nervous about another heart coming, so kept betting out and hoping no heart.  Luckily no heart came and I won a big pot with no showdown…. phew!

Sean was going at it, but not getting anywhere and was the first on our table needing their 2nd chance!    

Another big hand came when Bill raised pre-flop and I decided to call from the button with a speculative hand.   Andy on the SB then 3 bet and Bill called.  There was 3700 in the pot and 1000 for me to call… so seemed rude not to.  It was pretty easy for me to play post flop as I had to hit big or fold.   The Jxx rainbow flop didn’t look good for my hand and Andy’s shove meant my hand was in the muck, but Bill had already called so we had Andy showing QQ but Bill with KK    Another K on the turn sealed the deal and Andy needs his 2nd chance as well

It calmed down a bit after that, and on the break I had around 6k (average)  Sean on my right and Andy on my left were around 3k and Bill was table chip lead with loads Smile     This actually made it quite tricky for me to get frisky as with the blinds going up to 400/200 the short stacks could be getting it in and Bill with chips is likely to call a lot !

As it turned out, Lee busted Sean and soon after Bill busted Andy.  With Derek joining our table to balance it out we had similar stacks now, (except Bill still big stack) but the blinds were going up and couldn’t wait for hands.       Luckily I do get a hand in late position but Bill is BB and Jon has limped UTG.   With just over 4k left and 1k in the pot, think about raising a smaller amount, but just to risky to get a loose call from Bill, which would likely bring Jon in as well.. so shove.   Bill dwells but does eventually fold, Jon more readily folds so have a handy addition to my stack.  

Steve W gets bust on the other table, but then its around half hour before Alex is also busted to give us the final table.  

With 8 people left the average is 9000 and the blinds are already up to 1000/500 so it’s gonna get messy very quickly.   Darren and Derek are the big stacks, Bill has average and most the others are about half average stacks (including me).

I’m really looking for good spots to shove, but just don't get the opportunity.     With the blinds now 1k/2k I shove UTG with 3.5k chips blind and get called by Darren with 9-9   I show T-8 so have a chance, but don’t hit anything and am first out of the final table.

Couple of hands later and the final level of 4k/2k sees some quick fire exits.  Jon gets A-7  in good against Bill A-5 and short stack Jock but manages to deal Bill a flush on the river and knocks Jock and himself out !        Derek is taken by Karen shortly after, then another double elimination when Karen tables K-K and takes out Lee and Bill

Darren had half Karen’s chips so after a couple of hands heads up, Karen shoves and Darren calls but fails to improve and Karen takes a well earned victory.

Phew, what a game… seemed tense but fun.  

Roll on next time !   Happy Easter.

No comments: