Friday, July 04, 2008

Poker: Home Poker Tournament - July 2008

As there are only 10 players this time, we all play on one table.   This tends to give a really weird dynamic to the table and this, along with the fickle nature of the Poker Gods, produced a really exciting (and soul destroying for some) game!

With so many players we were only doing around 9 hands every 30 minutes, so there was frantic action before the rebuys stopped, with lots of people seeing the flop and lots of rebuys :-)

   In one such hand, I limped in late position with A-3 (a little loose for me, but hey...)   The flop came something like A-J-8.  Andy and Sean checked to me, so I bet it out.  Steve called, along with the other two.   The turn was a blank and we ended up with all four of us all-in.    Bizarrely, myself, Andy and Sean all had A-3 o/s and split the pot three ways !

Alex could be considered fairly lucky then unlucky in one hand, where about 5 people saw the flop and most were all-in.  Alex had two spades and picked up a flush draw.  He hit the flush on the turn, but then the fourth spade on the river gave Derek the nut flush with his A

Jon was probably the unluckiest person all night, the main hand I remember was where he got all-in pre-flop with Q-Q   Sean showed A-x and Alex had 5-5    The flop was blank, but the turn brought Alex his 5 and his trips held up (did I just say he was unlucky ? ;-) )

Once the rebuys stopped and everyone had time to reflect... we started up again.  I had around 2300 chips, with Bill and Derek having largest stacks

Thinks didn't go to well for me after the break.. a couple of draws didn't come, no cards to play so had to sit back and wait.    Sean was first to get busted out and as the blinds increased Andy and Alex followed in quick succession.   Things started getting a bit tense as myself, Mick and Steve were all relatively short stacked compared to the others.... Mick decided to keep his unnatural consistency going and went out in 7th place (again !) 

My luck wasn't with me as was down to my last 500 chips after the blinds went through me and couldn't get any cards to play.   On the dealer button I nearly stuck it in with 4-5s when two other people called the blinds.   As it turned out, I would have won with a straight as the board came 2-3-4-Q-A so I felt gutted, but the very next hand I saw A-6h and with Bill calling the blind I went in.   Luckily for me I hit the A and have now got 2000 chips

Jon's bad run continued as he went out on a bad beat to Bill (who else...) can't remember the hand now, but by all means add a comment with your views :-)

The next hand saw me raising the pot with a decent hand and Steve calling all-in.  The blinds got out the way and left us heads up.    Can't remember the details now, but I was behind but hit the River to take Steve out and virtually double up.    

A few hands later, with Derek on the SB and Simon BB, I see A-2 suited and raise the pot when Bill folds.   Derek re-raises all-in and Simon folds.   As its only around 2000 more to call I have to go for it, and found myself against K-J, so was in better shape than I thought.   The first card turned was a K, but the turn brought my A and Derek goes out in 4th and suddenly I have slight chip lead !!  

As we all have similar chip stacks the game is interesting with chips passing around, but with the blinds at 2000-1000 and average chip stack just over 9000 there is some action going on.....

I manage to build up my chips so when Bill busts Simon, I have 14'400 chips to Bills 13'600 with 4 hands to play.    Bill wins one, then folds one but with 2 hands to play calls my large pre-flop raise (I have A-9)   I have hit top pair with my 9, so go all-in and Bill calls with 6-4 (!) and as he doesn't improve, we have our result !!

Full results and analysis at http://www.statsgenie.com/poker/ as normal

The single 10 seater certainly makes an interesting game, although can be a bit frustrating with it being Pot Limit at times.  

Next week we have the Poker Satellite final table, so not long for some of us to wait.    For the rest, I will see you next month

Technorati Tags:

No comments: