Friday, September 04, 2009

Poker: Home Tournament – September 2009

There are 12 players for the £10 special tonight, but that doesn’t mean the action is any less frantic !

My game got off to a frustrating start… during the first level I got dealt K-2o twice and both times folded (as you would!) but then the flop brought not only a K but also a 2 !!   In the end I was a bit up and down, but by the break was still around the starting stack.  Andy was the only one on my table who needed his extra chips before the break, but otherwise everyone was fairly even on chips

After the break was when things got interesting , as with the blinds going up the pots were more hotly contested.    I had some good fortune when I got 6-8h and flopped a straight draw.   The straight came on the turn with a second heart and Lee was betting out.   The river gave me the straight draw (to the 8) but Lee checked… so was surprised and delighted when he called my pot sized bet and all of a sudden was table chip leader !!   

Later on, Lee flat called my BB and SB folded… but the flop was a load of old rubbish.   I had something like K-4s and there was one of my suit on the flop.   The two of us checked and the turn came another of my suit, but was checked again.  The river gave me the flush so bet out and Lee called – showing pocket A but loosing to my flush !    That’s the trouble with slow playing I guess :-)  

Lee was in trouble now and got down to 400 chips with the blinds at 300   He hung on to the BB but won that to give a bit of a breather.    Lucky for him, Jon got busted on the other table at the same time I busted Steve W so he sneaked into the top 7 !

The final table did see Lee bust out first quite quickly but the blinds are up so its starting to hurt the short stacks   

There was quite a long time before we saw another casualty and it was when I got dealt pocket A in the BB.  Alex flat called, then it folded round to Karen in the SB who called and I raised.   I was a little surprised when both Alex and Karen called.    The flop came something like K-8-4 and Karen led the betting with 1000 bet.  Despite being a little nervous, I went all-in for about 10’000 chips, but Alex insta-called   Whilst Karen contemplated, I was wondering if Alex had woken up with K-K … but my misery was soon dispelled when Karen folded and Alex showed K-Q !   My A’s held up taking Alex out and giving me a huge amount of chips (probably around half the chips in play!)

By now Darren was low in chips so went up against Bill but Bill took his chips and we are suddenly down to 4 players.

Karen is the short stack and is a little unlucky to push all in when I had A-9   I was always ahead but my 9 came on the flop to take Karen out.

We are now in the last blind levels so the chips are moving around the table very easily now !     I raise from the button with A-7 but Steve re-raises all-in with 4-4  Neither of us improve, but gives Steve the chips lead with around 24’0000 and I’m down to around 10’000 with Bill on around 15’000

Down to the last three hands and I get all in against Bill and double up.    For the very last hand, Steve has around 21’000 and I have about the same, so with Steve folding from the button, if I fold I come second but if I play and double up Bill I still come second, but if I play and take the blinds (or more) then win, so I play :-)    My K-T looks good against Bill’s 7-5 and I hit my K on the flop.  Bill then hits a 7 then 5 to double up and prevent my win, but I still take the 2nd place

Phew what a game…. it seemed quite tight and tense early on but then there was action all the way after the break.  There were several key hands and chips going everywhere so very exciting and several people had places where they can say “if only…”  That's why we love Poker :-)

See you next time

No comments: