Friday, July 02, 2010

Poker : Home Tournament – July 2010

At first it seemed we might be light on numbers this month, due to holidays etc.  but as it turned out we had 15 players in the end!  

The game kicked off fairly OK for me, I was steady and taking it easy.    Got pocket 4’s in late position and decided to launch one all all.  Bill called and his two overcards didn’t improve so was happy to get a reasonable stack.   It was a while before I got another reasonable hand of A-To and decided to raise.  Only Janice called, which didn’t worry me unduly, especially when the flop can T-x-x  I went all-in and confidently turned over my top pair, top kicker hand, only to be stunned to see Janice with T-T !!   Oh well, double rebuy time already……

After that it was back to steady and solid…. with only the occasional foray into wild re-raising (which I only did once against Martin, but luckily he folded :-) )

Then it was a case of bumbling along, and at the break  was fairly low stacked at around 3000 chips.  

I was a bit up and down after that, and felt lucky to make it to the final table, albeit with still around 3000 chips (one of the shorter stacks)  I drew the Small Blind, which was 400 by now, so when I looked down at AKo  I pushed all-in as Alex and Jock had both limped.  Martin in the BB folded, but both Alex and Jock called.   The A-3-4 flop looked good for me, but when Alex check/folded and Jock showed his A-4 I was in bad shape.   I got lucky though as the turn came a 2 and the river 5 for us to split the pot !

I could sit back for a few hands and watched Alex get taken out by Martin, then a few hands later with the blinds going up again I looked down at A-8 and decided I had to go for it and shoved.  Roger in the BB decided to call with KQs so wasn’t in bad shape…. but the K on the flop was enough for Roger to take me out!

Martin followed me out the next hand and joined the cash table, but after that it settled down a bit, until there was a huge hand with Andy raising to 6000, Roger called then Jock went all-in for a total of 14’900    Andy also went all-in for a total of 15’900 and Roger decided to call, also with 15’900 chips !    Andy had T-T, Roger A-9 and Jock A-6 (I think)  but with no-one improving Andy became a huge chip leader and took out 2 players at once !

After that time was getting short and it was quite tense for 2nd place with nothing much between Karen and Simon.   In the end it came down to the final hand, with the pot making the difference between the two of them.   Simon went all-in on the flop and Karen called.  Simon had something like K-x but Karen was ahead with A-x   Only a K or heart could save Simon, but a heart duly came on the river to give Simon 2nd and Karen an unlucky 3rd place

As always a lively and enjoyable game, with plenty of tales to tell (I can’t remember them all, but feel free to relate your own in the comments)   Can’t wait until next time…….

No comments: