Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Poker: BBP league heat 7

bbp_league

I haven’t posted my previous results since my Heat 2 win, mainly as I had complete rubbish finishes:

Leg 2: 1st from 112 players
Leg 3: 18th from 99
Leg 4: 47th of 94
Leg 5: 74th of 82
Leg 6: 74th of 84
leg 7: 1st of 76

By contrast (hinted at by the fact I am posting this article Smile) …. last nights Leg 7 BBP League heat was a great game and thoroughly enjoyed it.  OK winning made it *very* enjoyable, but just taking part (as it looked like for a long time) was great anyway.   There is always a nice amount of banter going on and it's a nice atmosphere

Although it is my second win this season, this one is the more satisfying in many ways, as really felt I had to work for it, and needed my 'A' game to end up on the final table.   Unlike last time, I only saw AA once and KK three times, so wasn't exactly running hot this time.

Early on I was playing my normal tight game and picked up a couple of hundred from starting stack, then really went to town and won a good size pot by blind aggression alone (as well as holding my breath and crossing my fingers).   It was just as well as although I won a few small pots, nothing much was happening for me for another couple of hours ! 

The mid part of the game was hovering around 10-15 BB most of the time so was in shove/fold mode really, but again the aggression paid off and was able to maintain station.  The key hand for me was with blinds 600/300/100 I decided to make a loose call with Q9o in BB.  With Qxx flop I shoved for about a pot size bet and was called by JJ.  The Q's held up and at last I had some chips to play with !

KK came not long after that at a good time for me, and put me well into the table chip lead, so could me a bit more creative, but had the chips to be patient and made it to the final table !

My initial patience on the final table was paid off again when early position pushed with JJ and I woke up with KK again, which held up again !   This put me in clear 2nd place so could afford to kick back and relax.

Things got a bit frantic as blinds went up and players went down.   By the time we got to top three the stacks of the remaining players was about even, so it was now very tense and interesting match.   I dropped a load of chips and had to go to shove mode, but was able to claw back to average, when my AT blind was raised... so shoved and found myself against QT.  I didn't really need to nut flush draw on the flop, as my AT held anyway and I'm chip leader.

At last we get down to heads up, with myself playing “blackbeltninja”.  We were about even in chips, so the tussle lasted about 20 mins.  The chips were flying around both ways, but think I was probably the more aggressive of the two of us.  The killer blow came when I raised (as normal) from button and got called.  The 977 rainbow flop looked safe for my AA :-)  so decided to re-raise the half pot bet and was delighted to call the shove on seeing J9o 

It really was a tough heat and “blackbeltninja” was a constant thorn in my side once we were down to 3 players.  The whole heat was very well played by all and really felt I worked hard for my win

Despite 2 wins from the 7 games so far, I am only 21st in the league tables and have no real chance of finishing in the top 10, but overall am pretty pleased with my performance in these games.

Interestingly, Steve W was on my table most of the game and also made the final table, finishing 5th.  He is 48th overall in the league which is no small achievement, so well done Steve!

Nice announcement on BBP Web Site as well Smile

No comments: