Thursday, December 23, 2010

General : Fitness Review


What with one thing and another, it's been a tough year this year.   My exercising regime has been a bit sporadic and also had problems with my left shoulder which scuppered some of my exercises and meant I had to change my regime to protect the shoulder a bit.    It will be difficult to do direct comparison against last year, but at least I have a new benchmark against which I can hopefully improve against in 2011

Monday (Running)

Run at 6.5mph for 25 minutes, then 8mph for 5 mins, plus 5 minutes cool down.

My heart rate peak at 178 bpm and average 157

Tuesday (Rowing and Weights)

My rowing target is 20 minutes at 28 strokes per minute plus 2 minutes cool down

Heart rate peak at 150 bpm and average 142

It is always tough to get through the rowing but hope to get back to 30 minutes eventually....

Then do one cycle of weights (about 5 mins)

15 x 2 reps of Chest Fly (1 weight)
15 x 2 Chest Press (2)
15 x 2 Lat Pull Down (3)

Heart rate peak at 130 bpm and average 114

I am not sure if it was the rowing or the weights that messed up my shoulder, so will probably increase the reps rather than the weights over time

Wednesday (Cycling)

Pedal at around 14mph at level 11 resistance for 20 minutes, then 10 minutes at 16mph at level 13.   Then do 5 minutes cool down. Cover 7.5 miles

Heart rate peak at 171 bpm and average 153


Thursday (Cross Trainer and Weights)

6 minutes on the Cross Trainer at level 2 plus 3 minutes backward peddling (or whatever it is you do on a Cross Trainer!)  Then 9 mins at level 4 plus 3 minutes backwards.   21 minutes in total, covering 1.8 miles

Heart rate peak at 168 bpm and average 151

Then do one cycle of weights (same as Tuesday)

15 x 2 reps of Chest Fly (1 weight)
15 x 2 Chest Press (2)
15 x 2 Lat Pull Down (3)

Heart rate peak at 133 bpm and average 123

Friday (Running)

Same as Monday

My current body weight is 73kg (11 stone 6 pounds) so spot on what I consider normal, although this is just before my excessive Christmas feasting so who knows what it'll be in January :-)

I have been pretty good at maintaining my no cakes, chocolate or biscuits from Monday-Thursday, but want to try and reduce the gluttony on Friday-Sunday (when I seem to eat more than a weeks worth of cakes, chocolate and biscuits to make up for it !)    I think the only real answer is simply to not have any in the house !! 

All things considered, I don’t think my fitness levels are bad, but are a little below 2009 levels.   I intend for 2011 to see me back to “normal” fitness levels and then possibly increase the rowing and/or the weights a little.

No comments: