Friday, April 08, 2011

Poker: Home Tourney - April 2011

It’s already been a busy Poker month, but am always pleased to be able to enjoy our monthly Poker League game at he club.   Despite the friendliness, there is always a keen competitive spirit with everyone always looking for the win.

aces6

Both tables started out cautiously with no-one having any rebuys for well over half hour!    I started out steady, seeing flops cheap and folding when missing, so was down to about 1500 chips (from 2000 start) then Derek starting getting busy and I managed to out flop him a couple of times and take his stack. 

As we got towards the end of rebuys, the action started to pick up as short stacks were trying to accumulate chips before the break.    I got some good cards and some good luck and managed to take Sean’s stack two or three times right before the break.

Derek had also picked up some chips and was actually chip leader at the break with around 10’200 to my 10’000 chips

Things got a bit tougher for me and started losing pots and went down to around 7500 before managing to win back a few small pots and built back up to 10’000 by the time we’d got to 5th level.   We’d seen a few bust outs, then suddenly Derek busted Darren and Karen in one hand and simultaneously Jon busted Bill on the other table, and all of a sudden we have our final table… pretty early for a change !

With a couple of short stacks, it’s not long before Andy want’s to get off fishing and he shoves with A high and gets taken out by Alex

Sean is soon all-in with his short stack, and I am tempted enough to call with my K-Ts thinking I’m ahead but Jon also calls from the SB.    The Q-J-x flop gives me flush and straight draws but Jon Check/calls so have to give him credit for something…. the turn is a 2 and we both check, then the river is also a 2 and Jon checks again.  I am sorely tempted to shove my last 4500 here into a huge pot (3000 side pot and around 7000 odd for main pot) but Jon has me covered and am not certain he would fold with likely Q, so check behind.   Jon’s A-K takes the side pot and Sean has Q-x to take the main pot !  (Maybe I should’ve shoved after allSmile )

After that I limped along short stacked and although managed to knock out fellow short stacker Roger (and got the £2 bounty) it merely delayed my demise as I didn’t get a spot to shove and the blinds were soon at 1000/500.  I ended up calling Derek’s raise from BB with Q-Ts against Derek’s T-T and so went out with a whimper in 5th (again!)

After that the table hotted up, Derek got K-K in against Sean’s A-J and hit K on flop, but Sean hit Straight and took a huge chip lead!

The remaining three were all relatively short, with Alex being taken out by Sean next.

With Derek down to 2x BB and Jon with 1, it looked like it was all over, but both players managed to double up, however with blinds up to 4000/2000 Derek was soon down to 2x BB again and Sean took him out.

Jon clung on to the end and managed to build up to around 34’000 chips but Sean was always managing his stack and deservedly took the victory (despite looking like he might fritter it away for a while)

Great game as always and was exciting to play and watch.   Despite my moaning I ended up £0.50 on the night (I didn’t take any rebuys or add-on’s) Smile   so not too bad a result for me.

No comments: