Monday, April 11, 2011

Poker: trip to Farnborough Poker Club

Having won my seat in their £100 game in a previous game, it seemed sensible to take the earliest opportunity to play, so went to the Sovereign Poker club in Farnborough last night to play their monthly “Main Event”

specialApril

There were 65 runners and top 6 pay

On my table I had an old guy who was limp/calling pretty much everything to the river on my immediate left, a younger sunburnt chap three to my right and a foreign guy opposite who between them provided all the action on the table and a heck of a lot of chatter!    It did make for an entertaining game though…   

I got involved in a pot with T-9s from BB, and the old guy and sunburn saw the flop.  I picked up up&down str8 draw on the flop so chk/called sunburn’s bet as did old guy.    The turn gave me the str8 so chk/raised Sunburn’s big bet thinking he must have something good, but both fold.   Was a nice start.

Later on got K-7s and decided to raise (purely as I hadn’t raised any hand to date)  Old guy called (should’ve guessed) but hit my 7 so decided to bet out.   Old guy just wasn’t budging and so checked the turn and saw K on the river.  I was pretty sure I was likely to be well ahead of his range so bet out and called his min raise… of course he had made runner-runner str8 so I dropped a fair portion of my stack.  

In another hand against Sunburn, I raised A-Jh and the flop came AsTs4h and bet out.    The turn came 8h so bet out again and Sunburn re-raised so I shoved.   He dwelt for a long time then folded, claiming to have folded A-K.   He was quite affronted I didn’t show and wouldn’t tell him what I had, even to the extent he even asked me about the hand when we were in the toilet later on!  (although he was now claiming he had A-Q, so who knows)   

At the first break I had 14’400 (avg 17’105) and there were 55 runners left

On the restart I got moved to another table, but this seemed to immediately change my luck as soon got pocket 8’s and hit 8xx flop.   The 9 turn saw my opponents fold to my bet but was up to 16’000 odd

Soon after got J’s and raised it up.  Got called by tight blind who chk/called my cBet on Qxx flop and chk/called my bet turn (which I thought by now was a semi-bluff)   I was lucky to hit str8 on river so bet out to his third check and he folded, moaning that I must’ve hit the str8 Smile

Not long after that I had A-6c on the BB and decided to call short stack small raise from button.   The A-8-6 flop looked good so chk/called button, another A came and we both checked, the J on the end could have been a problem, but felt I must be ahead so bet out and got called by A-2o !    I was up to about 35’000 now.

The second break saw me on 47’000 with the average 29’500 and 33 players left, so in good shape.

After the break I had few playable cards and there were a few 20 BB stacks who were getting active so most pots were now being raised by someone.   I did manage to win another pot here and there and peak chips were about 55’000, but as the ante’s came in I just wasn’t getting any hands or opportunities to make a move.  

With the blinds now 3000/1500/200 I hadn’t played a hand for ages and was down to about 40k, so raised 7.5k with A-6o from mid (hoping to pick up the pot) but got re-raised all-in by tight player to my left so had to fold (he showed K-K)

Soon after I got moved, back to the original seat where I started.  I recognised a few faces, old guy was still there and several tight players still plugging away.

After waiting patiently I was down to around 31’000 so when I saw 9-9 from mid position, decided to lay it aggressively and raised to 10’000 (planning to shove any flop)   Tight lady called from late position (which was a good thing) but BB re-raised all-in.   I didn’t know the BB player but felt there was a good chance I’d be racing, or he might be shoving light on a squeeze play so called hoping to be racing.   Sadly for me, he showed K-K and I’m out in 18th place at 11:25pm  

Overall I feel I played well and didn’t make any huge errors.   I could maybe have got more value on some of my big hands, so need to pay more attention to my bet sizing and value betting.

In the end, it was a freeroll for me, with the chance to made the money so was a worthwhile and enjoyable game.   

No comments: