Thursday, May 19, 2011

Gadgets: new Phone–Samsung Galaxy Ace

I’ve been thinking about getting a new phone for a while now, so whilst out shopping saw a special offer on the Samsung Galaxy Ace and so went for it !

01_small_120

The main attractions for me where actually to firstly use as a music player… my 20GB iPod is bulky, heavy and no longer enough capacity… plus also really want to get Sat Nav functionality for on foot and in car use.    For a very reasonable monthly rate (special deal for existing Virgin Media customers) the Galaxy Ace seems to give me this, as well as basic phone use as well of course (always seems to be forgotten with smart phones these days!)

Like most Techy’s, I got the phone home and downloaded the use manual and quick start guide from the internet, then just sat and fiddled with the phone without reading the instructions Smile    As you would expect, everything is simple enough, although did have some weird issue setting up a google account (needed for most of the useful functionality!)  but this was solved by a quick visit to google web site from the laptop.   I also had problem with installing Blogger App, in that it refuses to install but I’m not too fussed about that at this stage.    Otherwise everything else was setup easily and seems to work fine so far.   

The syncing between PC and Phone is easy as well, but although the Samsung Kies software used for this is easy enough  (being an iTunes clone)  it is a bit kluncy and seems to take forever to read my network drives (where all my media is stored)   Guess will have to live with that

My only concern is from a security perspective… firstly I disabled the option to backup to Google as it stores not only my data, but also my secure network password, which seems a bit dodgy to me (call me paranoid, but don’t like that idea at all)   I also ummed and ahhed about enabling the location tracking option as not sure I want google to track my movements.   Was also a bit wary at first about allowing Apps access to my contacts, location information, write permission, system tools, etc… but seems all apps wants these permissions so you gotta go with the flow it seems.

Once I’d got everything installed and running, next thing is to order a 32GB card to store all my music and videos Smile Got a 2GB card with the phone, but that just isn’t big enough!

I’m pretty much there now on the setup and will probably get around to reading the user manual sometime.     I’m pretty impressed so far by the mapping and navigation Apps and can’t wait to try them out for real.    The media and social networking apps will be useful for when I’m out and about and can even make phone calls as well Smile

No comments: