Friday, May 06, 2011

Poker: Home Tourney–May 2011

Its Poker League time again.  Seems to have come round quick this time, which is a good thing of course!

aces6

The table draw was a bit weird this month, in that I was on the “sensible” solid table with 6 players, and the other table of 7 was wild and raucous !    We had a total of 6 buy-ins on our table, but it was more like 6 buy-ins for everyone on the other table!

I had trouble getting off the ground and remained firmly below starting stack for a long time.   As we got towards the end of rebuys I started pushing a bit more and got all-in with a flush draw, but was up against Karen’s pair and Simon with a higher flush draw !    Karen won that one, so both Simon and I had to double rebuy.      On the last hand before the rebuy’s ended, I got another flush draw and stuck it all in, to be called by Andy with pocket A’s   Unluckily for him,  I hit this time and had a nice double up.

I was quite happy to have around average chips on the restart (about 6500) with Karen and Darren both on around 7000 and chip leaders on my table.   

With no more rebuys and a few chips behind me, I was able to get a bit more aggressive and take some pots uncontested and eventually got to around 8000 chips and table chip lead.  

Towards the end of level 4 the other table had a couple of bust outs, then level 5 saw some of our short stacks getting desperate, so Simon went all-in, Jon shoved and Andy re-shoved.   Karen had the decision to make and ended up calling.   No-one had a pair so when Karen hit one of her cards on the flop, it ended up being enough to take out 3 players in one hand!     Simultaneously Alex was busted on the other table, so we were down to 7 players already and the final table.

On the final table I came in on the Big Blind, which was now 600 and only had around 6600 to start which was the shortest stack.     Of course myself, Darren and Karen were relatively short stacked compared to the huge amounts of chips sloshing around the other table, so were always at a disadvantage, so not wishing to hang around, on my SB I make up the blind and see a flop with 3 others.   The Qxx flop looks OK for my Q-T so shove my 9 big blinds.  Both Roger and Derek call, but then check the turn and river, so am hoping I’m ahead, but Rogers K-Q takes the pot and knocks me out.

A couple of hands later, Darren (who was the other really short stack) got taken out by Jock

With everyone now having a decent amount of chips, it settles down for a while until the next blind levels (2000/1000) and then we see Steve W taken out by Roger and Jock by Derek in quick succession.

The remaining players have all got around the same amount of chips, so it’s game on.   In the last level, Roger starts shoving a lot of hands but it takes until the last hand of normal time before Karen gets a better hand to call with and takes out Roger.     Karen has a 2:1 chip lead and with Derek shoving each hand Karen has no choice than to fold her was to a well earned victory

Phew, what a game.   There was brilliance and madness as well as the normal mix of fun and frivolity, must be the weather patterns or something in the water Smile

Roll on next month!

No comments: