Saturday, July 09, 2011

Cars: Test driving a Morgan

Went to Richard Thorne Classic Cars to test drive a Morgan 4/4 last night.

home-pic

I’ve always been intrigued by the Morgan, but always thought of them as a retired gent’s sports car… I’m not retired, but am now an “old git” so feel it might be time to buy one ! Smile   Obviously if I was allowed to buy a Lotus, then I’d not likely be looking at Morgan, but hey…

The driving experience is a bit weird, but kindof in a good way.  Even at 50mph, it felt like I was doing a 4 wheel drift round some of the corners.    I expect you either fall in love with a Morgan or sell it within 12 months !   

My main hesitations to buying one are really the price (they are a bit pricey for what you get) and also the weather proofing (as I would be using it all year… and there are lots of holes and flappy bits around the doors and roof)

On the plus side, you can trick them up over time with motorsport bits and bobs.. I saw a full race spec (road legal) equivalent of the model I would buy… with adjustable dampers, tweaks to the engine, exhaust, etc.etc..  and is something you can add on over time (that would be my birthday and Xmas pressies sorted for the foreseeable future)

Overall, I am still looking favourably at the Morgan so is a definite contender.    Gonna take a look at Caterham next as it’s a direct competitor (and a bit cheaper)

No comments: