Saturday, July 02, 2011

Poker: Farnborough club report

As a warm-up for UKIPT Brighton in couple of weeks, decided to play the £40 tournament last night at Sovereign Poker club in North Camp.

frinov

Jon and Jock were able to join me and the 50 odd other people attending.

First hand I’m in the SB and look down at AA !   With 3 limpers decide to raise and 3 of us see the flop of Q92 rainbow.   I lead out and three of us see the 8 turn.   I lead out with pot size bet and get re-raised all-in, the button gets out the way.  I have to fold and villain show’s pocket 2’s so got away cheaply on that one!

I play pretty tight passive as the table is quite loose, so when I get AKo UTG I decide to limp and 5 see the flop of JJJ !  I decide to lead out and two of us see the Q turn.  We both check the turn and river of 9   Of course the villian has KT so he takes the pot with a str8 ! 

On the break :

  Mike    11’350
  Jon     25’500
  Jock  17’600

Later on I do manage to win a small pot when I bet out with a flush draw on the flop, but then get moved to a different table.  (hate that!)  First hand Im in the BB with rubbish hand, and it folds to SB who raises, so I call.   He leads the K-x-x flop and I re-raise and he folds, for which I was eternally grateful, but just felt he was having a go at my blind so seemed a good spot to be aggressive

We get some more players as tables break up and the drunk fellow who was sitting next to me joined my table 4 seats to my left.  He was a likable chap and very chatty, but too chatty as he was basically telling everyone what his hand was.      When it was his BB decided to have a crack at it with 6-5o so raised.   All folded to the drunk guy, but he called.  The flop came something like Q-5-2 so when he checked I put in cBet, but he reraised.  I was always folding, but then he started telling me he had a good hand… so but I was folding anyway and he shows a Q     Next hand he gets it allin on flop A-8-6 with 8-8 but found himself up against A-A which turned Quads, so a good safe source of chips was gone!

With blinds at 600/300 and me down to 7500 I’m looking for a shot to shove.   It folds to me in the CO and look down at A-J so decide to shove… sadly the button woke up with A-K and reraised and I was out at around 10:30pm !

As it was early joined the cash table.   Jock soon came over to watch but Jon lasted until 14th.  Only the top 5 paid out, so we all went home empty handed.

Well, having said that…. on the cash game (£1/£2), I was playing pretty OK.  There was 1 loose player seeing 90% flops despite any action and only leading out with top pair or better… but the other 7 players seemed pretty tight/solid.      I was a bit up and down before getting a good win and being about £30 up… but few hands later played a hand really stupidly and dropped about £50..  I basically had nothing and should’ve folded flop, but decided to rep the flush draw, but when the draw came on the river, bottled out and checked, so the villain won the hand with one pair!  (guess he would’ve folded if I’d bet river as I planned.. really annoyed with myself!)

Later on,  I decided to call a really tight player raise (probably the first raise he’d made in an hour) so knew I was well behind with my Q-Td  The flop came A-8-4 (2 diamonds) so when villain checks, being pretty sure he is still ahead shoved all-in.  He dwells up for a while, so I’m guessing he doesn’t have an A, sure enough he calls and shows Q-Q !   I knew I didn’t really want the call, but luckily hit my flush and took huge pot.   Villain was having a bit of a Andy about it (a good moan Winking smile ) so after another couple of hands decided to leave!   As it happens it was gone midnight and I ended up £65 down for the tournament entry, but £75 up on the cash… so £10 profit for the night (it paid for the beers!)    

Overall, I was pretty happy with my play in both the Tournament and Cash so was a good practise session for me.     I don’t think my hourly win rate will be good enough for a career as Poker Pro,  (about £2.50 p/hr, although it is the minimum rate for an apprentice, which seems quite fitting ) so won’t be giving up my day job anytime soonWinking smile

No comments: