Friday, December 09, 2011

Poker–Home Tourney December 2011

aces6

Earlier in the day it seemed the last game of the season would be 10 players, but in the end 14 turned up and was a riotous occasion, definite “end of term” feel to the game Smile

It was tight in the top 3 spots, but realistically it was Alexs’ to lose.   The fickle hand of fate put the top three players on the same table as well (myself, Alex and Derek) so we could all keep a close eye on each other.

The game started quietly enough for me, I didn’t play many hands as wasn’t getting any cards !     Janice seemed to be getting the cards early on, but then Sean gave Derek a load of chips who was then joint table chip lead with Janice.   

After the break Sean soon got very short, so when he raised on my SB it was worth taking a gamble with A-2h but with Alex on my left had to raise it up.  Luckily Alex folded, but unlucky for me Sean showed A-8.    The gods were smiling on me though, as my 2 came on the flop and I took Sean out, putting me back to just over starting stack.

With the blinds increasing, and a couple of big stacks on our table, it seemed our table was doing all the work… 

I get T-T and raise it up. Alex 3 bets, then Jock in the BB 4 bets all-in. I dwell up but decide they both will have a legit hand and could easily be facing an over pair so decide to fold. Alex duly calls and shows A-K against Jocks' A-Q The board runs out all low cards, which was a bit annoying for me, but still think I made the right decision… but its worse news for Jock who is out.

Daniel got moved to our table, won the first pot uncontested but then Derek busted him out in a couple of hands soon after !

Seems ages since my last playable hand, but at last I find a good hand with K-Qd, and raise it up but get called by Bill and Derek.   The Kxx flop (2 spades) looks a bit iffy for me against two players  but Derek checks and I decide to shove my remaining 5k into the 3k pot.   Bill thinks for a while but decides to fold, Derek insta folds and I take the pot.  Bill rabbit hunts and would’ve hit his flush on the river, so glad I didn’t slow play that one!

A little later Alex is somehow pretty short and shoves, but gets called by both Janice and Derek.   Derek manages to take both them out, so Alex gets no points!   This is great news for both Derek and me, but more so for Derek who is chip leader now.  

I need to get busy but am just not getting the cards nor the opportunity.   An opportunity does present itself a couple of hands later, when Bill sees a flop with me.  I hit my A-x on A-Q-x flop and Bill decides to call with 5-5 (he knew I had A or Q but felt lucky)  Lucky for me Bill’s luck seems to have deserted him and the board runs out safe for me so I take out Bill and we're down to the final table !

The blinds are just going up, but I’m just over average stack but probably 2nd in chips, Derek is quite substantial chip lead, but not big enough to relax just yet.   Martin is the short stack, with everyone else had a reasonable amount of chips.

With a cash game up and running, Martin decides to commit with A-6 against Derek’s K-J but Derek hits the flop and Martin is free to join the cash game Smile

I haven’t had any cards again for a long time, so decide to raise my 3-2h (well they are suited Winking smile )  Andy calls in the SB and we see a flop of K-Q-x (2 hearts)  Andy min bets so I min raise and Andy shoves all-in !   I decide the best I can hope for is that my flush draw is good, but even that isn’t sure, so have to fold.   This distraction cost about 1/3 my stack although still have a playable stack, but is only 8 blinds.  Everyone is shallow (except Derek) at this stage.

Steve W is now the short stack and gets it in with J-J but Andy hits the flop and Steve is also gone to the cash table

The blinds are now up to 2k and I’m looking for a good spot to shove my 7k stack   Decide Karen’s big blind is the best spot, so shove Q-4 from middle position.   Sadly Andy wakes up with K-K on the button, Derek shows a Q and Andy hit’s another K on the flop… leaving me drawing dead already so I’m out in 6th!   It also means I drop to 3rd in the League as Derek will overtake me even with 5th place finish.  

From a league perspective, Derek still has to finish first this game, else Alex will take the title.   He still has a big chip lead though, so every chance.

Andy is next to fall by Lee, who now has a decent chip stack.   He keeps his work rate up though and manages to get in as slight favourite against Karen a couple of times and against Jon once, in quick succession, but got outdrawn each time and so the other three all have similar stacks as we get to the last three hands of the game.

Derek takes a shot against Jon’s short stack, but Jon doubles up.   The next hand sees Derek take a small pot, so can afford to fold the last hand to guarantee first place in the game and take the league title.   Karen ended up the bubble girl, giving Lee 2nd place,  leaving Jon (who would’ve won the last hand had he played it!) in 3rd

Congratulations to Derek for a well fought game under immense pressure.   He went for the win and played a blinder to take it down.

The whole season this year has been fantastic and have been some real ding dong battles and interesting games

Well done to everyone, have a lovely Christmas and New Year, then come back refreshed for even more Poker fun and frolics next year Smile

2 comments:

Jon said...

Thanks once more to an excellent tournament director for a great year of poker. Hoping everyone has a great Xmas and looking forward to next year's poker challenge, Derek having gifted you the title this year I plan on pushing you harder next year to take it away from you !!! :)

Steve said...

Sounds like a great year of poker, I miss the 1st Thursday games since I left for the land of the pork pie. Maybe I will be able to make a guest appearance at some point next year. Happy Christmas and New Year to all. Steve