Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Poker: my return to UB (part 2 - win myself a Lotus drive ?)

Having recently gone in my Lotus "experience"( http://sceaga.blogspot.com/2006/08/cars-lotus-track-experience.html ) I really want to go on the next level which is the one day "Driver Training" course (http://www.grouplotus.com/media/car/oth/Driver%20Training%202006.pdf)

I have already put aside £100 towards this event and intend to ask for money for Xmas and Birthdays, gradually saving up...... then I had a fantastic idea ! Why not invest my £100 into UB and try to increase it to the required £450, which means not only do I have fun playing poker but also gives me practise at the higher stakes than I would normally play. Sounds good in theory :-)

My £100 equates to $180, so planned to play $100 (+9) and $50 (+5) 6 seater tournaments giving me a few bucks to play around with.

Logging on to play the first night, there was no action on the $100 or $50 tables, so ended up putting $40 into a $3/$6 cash game. This was actualy quite scarey as I was really underfunded (so should've invested more or gone for a lesser value!!) and there was a very aggressive guy playing: raising pre flop and betting every flop. Luckily for me, my third hand dealt to me was KK so got heads up with the aggressive bettor and no ace fell on the flop. His large bet into me was willingly called (despite me being all-in) and he showed 7-2 off suit which was no good ! As I had doubled up, then decided to do the sensible thing and leave the table as quick as my fingers could click

Net time I managed to find a $50 game, but played badly and finished 6th ! My $100 game was a little more lively and was chip lead a lot of the time until we got down to 3 players. Probably tightened up too much and frittered away my chips, ending 3rd..... (only 2 place pay out)

Then played another $55 game, but despite a good showing early on still fell at the last hurdle only managing 3rd again !

I am down to about $3 so play the 0.01/0.02 Omaha hi/low (Pot limit) The game really does my head in but is great fun. I generally seem to be able to win the low hand in these games :-) Actually work up to $6 before falling back to $4 so call it a night. The next time I play however, somehow manage to work my $4 up to $14 before getting involved with a massive pot with 4 players all-in and loose the lot (my Full House was second best hand to a higher full house, but thats Omaha for you)

So my dream of an early return to Lotus is in tatters, and any family members reading this will know what to give me for Xmas ;-)

Did have a good time playing (winning would have been even better fun of course) so maybe I don't need to register with http://www.gamcare.com/ just yet :-)

No comments: