Friday, January 09, 2009

Poker: Home Tournament - January 2009

Wow, what a start to the season!

Although it was only last night.... my memory is a bit vague, but due only to the fact that there was so much action on the tables and lots of frivolity, that I am just having trouble recalling the best bits !!

With Martin to my left and Darren to my right... I was always going to have and interesting game... my basic strategy was pretty standard in that I started out steady and let the others go all in if they wanted to (Martin was the first rebuy in the first hand on our table :-) )  I was going pretty steady and managed to win some chips somewhere along the way, then had a run of cards.. first getting QQ but Lee and Darren both called... Lee with KQ and Darren has QJ.  The flop brought a J then the turn saw another J !!  Luckily Darren has a fair bit less chips so I won pot 2 from Lee so wasn't dented too much.    I then took down a pot uncontested with AT  and the next hand got KK and managed to win some chips there as well !   Later on Martin re-raised my raise and we ended up all-in pre-flop.  My KQ wasn't looking good against his QQ but the ladies were not lucky tonight as a K took Martins stack very low

With all the action going on we seemed to get to the final table quite quickly.  I had managed to build a good chip stack of around 12'000 or so and was probably the chip lead... and had even draw the dealer button so could relax for a few hands.

Lee was always in trouble with the short stack (but was in the points again !) and was the first one out from the final table, taken out by Andy.  Andy then took out Bill when Bill decided his T high was good enough to call to catch a bluff (however Andy wasn't bluffing..)

We then seemed to have a phase were the short stacks were doubling up... I remember doubling up Derek somewhere along the line when my A7 was dominated by his A-9... I also gave Andy and Darren a load of chips (I think)

Eventually, with the blinds now at 2000/1000 something had to give....  I managed to take out Derek and get myself back in the running, then just as the time ended Alex took out Andy and gave himself a very healthy looking stack.  

With three hands to play and 4 players left, all with reasonable stacks, it was all to play for.    Simon took out Alex and had a reasonable lead, the 2nd last hand I got KK and was happy when Simon raised.  Darren folded to my all-in.   Unfortunately an A came and reduced me to 1000 chips with one hand to play and that was it as Simon had an unassailable lead and Darren was large amount ahead of me....

It was a great game with loads of action, so a really good start to the year.  I am not sure if the new rule of getting a point for each knockout was in peoples minds during the game, but certainly make the January results a bit closer than they would have been otherwise.... looks to be a cracking season in prospect

Looking forward to the next one already......

No comments: