Monday, March 23, 2009

Poker: some success in Omaha Hi-Lo tourney

Last week I decided to enter a freeroll "8 game" tournament on Pokerstars as a bit of a break from my normal Wednesday night online poker routine.   With over 6000 players it was just a bit of a laugh, but ended up doing pretty well and took it seriously, so ended up finishing in the top 48, all of whom get a free entry into the Weekly Round-2 tournament   Mind you, at just over 5 hours it was a long time to play !

From the outset I decided I would take round 2 seriously as there was $2000 in prizes up for grabs.  I so sat down at 6pm on Sunday for the tournament start, having already prepared Lynn for a long game.   When I went to register , the game happened to be limit Omaha Hi-Low split which was OK, but baulked slightly at over 7500 players but decided to go for it..... 

The standard of play was pretty terrible in the early stages and were also a lot of players who had registered but not bothered to take their seats (go figure!)   I just played pretty solid/tight and managed to steadily build up my stack.   Being limit, it takes a long time to go broke even for terrible players and the blinds were only going up every 15 minutes so looked to be in for the long haul.     As it turned out, I was generally always ahead of the pack, mainly being in the top 10% of players so kept me interested to keep playing...

After around 7 hours (!) we were down to about 20 players and I was a steady 8th/9th sort of position with over 1 million in chips.  Unfortunately I think I must've lost concentration/focus as, with the blinds going up to 30'000/15'000 and 2'000 ante, I found myself quickly slipping down the rankings after a few dubious calls

In the end I finished 14th (which I didn't think was too bad, but felt I should've finished higher)  after playing for just over 7.5 hours... yes it really was 1:35am and yes, I had won some money..... $7 to be precise !

Oh well, better than playing for 5 hours and winning nothing I suppose.... :-)

To be honest, although I am glad I did it... I feel $1 per hour win rate is a bit too low to bother again....  I will now spend my time on qualifying for the SCOOP HORSE event then go back to my normal STT or cash games

No comments: