Friday, April 03, 2009

Poker : Home Tournament - April 2009

I have really been looking forward to the Poker this month and was in suitably determined mood to make amends for my disastrous outing last month !  I had a feeling in my bones that I would do well so was feeling calm, relaxed and ready to play

A good omen was that there were no "wild" players on my table so was looking to play good solid poker.   Of course it didn't quite work out like that and found I was buying in three times in quick succession (still in the first level), but then my luck did change and managed to win some good pots to get a reasonable stack size.  There was a fair bit of action on our table, but the "wild bunch" on the other table were whooping and hollering and buying in a huge number of times.... Bill seemed to have a mountain of purple chips by end of the first level !!

I am struggling to remember the details now (as ever!) but do remember the last 10 minutes before the break saw a lot of action with Mick and/or Simon being all-in a fair few times to try and build up their stacks

At the break I was around 4500 chips with Karen being the chip leader on our table

With the break over the serious business starts and is no surprise that the "wild" table sees the first three knock outs.    On our table, Jon finds himself short stacked but has a couple of good double ups to build a good stack... only to get in with J-J against Darren's A-3s pre-flop and then saw the A come as the first card on the flop !   Darren improved to flush but had the pot wrapped up and left Jon very low again.  This time he couldn't recover and got taken out by Simon.  Within a couple of hands another three players got busted in quick succession and we have a final table already !

As I got seated at the final table, I was just telling myself I had to play solid, take my time, keep the pots small and don't take any risks... but the first hand I got pocket tens, so immediately raised the pot despite myself !!   Luckily everyone folded and I could tell myself off (again!) and settle down into the game

Lee has maintained his 100% record since starting but is taken on, and taken out as it turned out, by Alex who has a HUGE pile of chips .  

With blinds at 1000-500,  Karen who is now short stacked calls as does Darren but all else fold to me on the SB.  My 9-6s doesn't look pretty but am getting in cheaply so also call.    The flop is 9-5-5 rainbow so a good flop for me, but being out of position decided to check.   Bill checks but Karen goes all in for 2800 chips... Darren folds and I have to think as I have exactly 2800 chips left myself !     With Karen's range being quite tight, I decide to fold as I get the button next hand but was a close decision.   Bill calls and as it turns out, Karen had A-Q and takes a large pot with A high and is also now the chip leader.  I was a bit despondent, but still felt I made the right decision...

With the blinds going up to 2000 and me down to 2300, I have to wait for a good hand and hope it holds up in what would inevitably be a multi-way pot.   As luck would have it, I am dealt A-Qs in late position so still my chips in and get 3 other callers.    With a Q coming and no-one else having much, I have suddenly got 9200 chips !    Couple of hands later I get dealt K-K and re-raised Simon's all-in raise to get heads up with him.   Luckily my kings hold out and I knock out Simon and take my stack up to around 12'000.  This makes me 2nd chip leader to Alex, just at the right time as we have only about 5 minutes left to play

Bill is short stacked but doesn't get lucky against Alex "the destroyer" who takes out another player.   Darren puts up a solid defence and had several battles with Alex who was putting his huge pile of chips to work... but in the end got taken out by Karen in the last hand of regular time

With three hands left to play, Alex is significant chip lead with around 20'000 then Karen and myself are roughly level at around 12'500 each

My BB gets attacked by Alex's all-in so have to let it go, but Alex folds the button on the next hand and I decide to make a raise into Karen.  After a long think and advice from Sean ! she decides to go all-in, which I have to call.    My Q-8 isn't looking great against Karen's K-3 but the 8 on the flop seals our fates, giving me over half the chips and Karen has around 500 left   

The last hand is immaterial as I can take 1st place if I fold, which I duly do... but Alex takes out Karen to get an extra point to add to his assured 2nd place

It was very well played by all and certainly was a lot of exciting action going on....  can't wait until next time :-)

No comments: