Thursday, August 05, 2010

Poker: Home Tournament – August 2010

It seemed we would only have one table of 8 players… right up until Lee, Mick and Roger turned up , so not a bad turn out in the end !

I was on the table of 6 players, being  Jock, Roger, Darren, Daniel, Simon and myself.    To start with it seemed Daniel was getting all the cards as he seemed to be winning every hand and building up his stack.   I have a bit of a go at his BB with rubbish hand but he hit the flop and called my bet, so I slowed down and didn’t improve so he took a reasonable size pot.    He did get stung a bit later when heads up with Roger he folded A-x with A7744 board… Roger showed a small pocket pair and this threw Daniel off his stride for ages after, as he kept thinking about his fold !   Even getting quad 4’s didn’t help his mood as he only took a small pot.

A few hands later I was on BB with rubbish, but picked up a straight draw on the flop.  Roger bet small and Daniel called, so gave me the odds to go for it.  In the end I hit my straight on the river, but Roger led out with a sizeable bet, Daniel called and I raised all-in.  Despite correctly deducing I must have a straight, Roger decided to call and so did Daniel, which tripled me up and gave me the chips to sit back and relax.

I was able to pick my spots and play mostly good cards…. sometimes taking advantage if it folded to me on the blinds, but in the main keeping it solid.     

Darren couldn’t get to see a flop as every time he raised, even min-raised, everyone folded :-)    On the one occasion (before the break) I remember he limped to see a flop, he min-bet and everyone folded.   His reputation for being tight seemed the opposite to my loose aggressive reputation !

At the break I was up to around 6500 chips and one of the chip leaders.      On the other table, Andy had just fleeced Karen the hand before the break leaving her without chips, so she was starting with 3000 chips at this point, but this wasn’t much below the average as there had been few buy-in’s all night. 

Despite his earlier good fortune, Andy was the first out and immediately bolted for the door – heading for his fishing

There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, but we then hit a run of knock-outs.   Daniel got busted by me whilst Jock was being busted by Mick on the other table so all of a sudden we are down to the final table.

The first hand on the final table seem myself in SB and Roger to my left in the BB.   I think Mick called but everyone else folded, so I had something like 4-4 so put in a raise.  Roger called but Mick folded.  Roger had a 50-50 with his Kh-9h but failed to hit so I took him out in 8th

Soon after Darren managed to get some action and also managed to knock out Simon !

After a lull in the action and with the blinds increasing, I somehow managed to knock out Mick and Sean in the same hand…which really set me up as big chip lead so just had to keep focused to take another win as we’re down to 4 players

I got a bit over anxious in the BB when Karen limped and Lee called in the SB.  With 1800 now in the pot, Lee had about 1200 and Karen around 1600 left behind.  Although my Jc-7c wasn’t a great hand, decided that if I wanted to see the flop, might as well get all the chips in anyway :-)   Both Karen and Lee called, Karen showing Ac-Tc and can’t remember Lee’s hand now…   an a came on the flop, but Lee hit 2 pair on the turn and took the main pot.  Karen was left with the consolation of 400 chips and the BB fast approaching…..

With Karen all-in on the BB I decided to call with Td-7d and Darren didn’t take the option to raise from SB.  The flop was all low, then hit T on the turn, so bet out and Darren folded.   Karen has 7-3 but had nothing, the 7 on the river no consolation and is out on the money bubble, but put up a good fight from low chips at the break

Lee doubled up against Darren which helped me out a bit, especially when I managed to get all-in against Darren with Q-Q to his A-T (I think)  The flop and turn were blank and didn't need the Q on the river to take out Darren in 3rd

Heads up I folded the first hand, the second hand I don't remember, but the third hand Lee flat called the SB, I raised all-in and Lee called with 3s-2s.. ! but I had As-Js and it was all over as I hit my J on the flop and that was it… another victory to me !!!

I really am running hot at the moment and am enjoying every minute of it whilst it lasts !   Great game obviously, winning always make’s it sweeter but always enjoy the game itself of course…  I did make a couple of mistakes, but overall felt I played pretty well.

I’m pleased to be back at the top of the league, but it’s still pretty tight at the top so all to play for !

See you next time….

No comments: