Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Poker: Late Night Poker – off the ground, just two more huge mountains to climb

Seems I'm on fire at the moment !   After my cash in last nights tournament I was feeling a bit tired, but decided to register for the two Round 1 freerolls for Late Night Poker, continuing my quest to get on the show again !

I played the 7:15pm game and had a slow plodding session… I don’t have any recollections of any huge good or bad fortune swings and just made steady progress through the 750 odd players and kept it steady.   

By the time the second qualifier started at 9:15pm I was about 20th out of 40 remaining players and still feeling in control, so with A-9s UTG decided to just stick all my chips in (on the second game) so I could just focus on the first game…. but got a caller and won the hand, doubling up.  

Over the next half hour I played both games and was staying slow but steady on the first game, but was being wild and stupid on the second game (wanting to bust out really…) but ended up chip leader in the second game !   I had to then sit out the second game as the first game was at that crucial stage….

After all the wild swings and excitement of the second game, I really had to calm and focus on the first….. I was now around 12th out of 35 left (27 go through)   Kept it nice and steady, don’t get involved, be passive, concentrate on survival…. but as we got to 30 players left, although I was still around 12/13th it was very slow going.   With about 6 players less than 10 BB stacks, seemed I would cruise through if only I can restrain myself… so went back to the second game :-)

Although I could use two tickets to the 2nd round,  I was really starting to feel tired by around 10pm and didn’t want to play another couple of hours, so was incredibly loose and aggressive but was around 3rd place from 600 odd remaining (900 odd started)  It was so much fun to play with idiotic abandon, going in with any two after a raise and re-raise, to see them fold :-)   Then get called when I got a decent hand and take out another player.  In the end, probability was always going to catch up with my stupid play and lost a couple of big pots, then doubled up with rubbish, but then the table chip lead ended up taking me out (he would probably be able to cruise through, so hope he appreciated my generosity ;-) )

This had been a welcome diversion from the slow, tense pace of the first game so was a relief when at 10:30pm, after 3.25 hours the final 27 were rewarded with their tickets to Saturdays Round 2… and I was one of the lucky few :-)

Of course there will likely be around 3oo-400 players in the next round with only about 10 tickets to the final round so will be tricky to get through.   Even then, the final round will only have one seat in the LNP televised finals…. It really is a slog, but I’m going to give it my best and see where I end up.   

No comments: