Friday, January 15, 2010

General : Fitness review

Since we moved in October, it has taken some time to get the Home Gym sorted out (again!) and back to normal routine, then Christmas came along…. (you can guess I am building up to some kind of excuse :-) )

My regime has only changed slightly since last year and my general fitness seems to be around the same as 2008 when I last recorded my heart rates (although it’s difficult to compare as I was doing a different regime two years ago)

Monday (Running)
Run at 6.5mph for 25 minutes, then 8mph for 5 mins, plus 5 minutes cool down.

I am actually finding the running about the easiest exercise…. which is odd considering it is probably taking the most energy.  I suppose it is because, being Monday morning, I am running whilst half asleep :-)

Anyway, my heart rate peak at 169 bpm and average 145

Tuesday (Rowing)
My target is 30 minutes at 28 spm plus 2 minutes cool down, however have been hitting my unofficial target of 29 spm for the last few months!   Really must make this my official target soon !!  Cover 4.2 miles

Heart rate peak at 156 bpm and average 148

This for me is the exercise I feel most likely to not complete, or at least in the middle 10 minutes… but always seem to make it in the end. 

Wednesday (Cross Trainer and Weights)
6 minutes at level 2 plus 3 minutes backward peddling (or whatever it is you do on a Cross Trainer!)  Then 9 mins at level 4 plus 3 minutes backwards.   21 minutes in total, covering 1.8 miles

Heart rate peak at 168 bpm and average 152

I am still struggling with the Cross Trainer, in that it still kills my thigh muscles !

Then do one cycle of weights

15 x 2 reps of Chest Fly (1 weight)
15 x 2 Chest Press (2)
15 x 2 Leg Extension (3)
15 x 2 Lat Pull Down (4)
15 x 2 Ab Crunch (5)

Heart rate peak at 148 bpm and average 130

Thursday (Cycling)
Pedal at around 14mph at level 11 resistance for 20 minutes, then 10 minutes at 16mph at level 13.   Then do 5 minutes cool down. Cover 7.5 miles

Heart rate peak at 158 bpm and average 143

I am finding the first 20 mins fairly easy so may have to look at upping the pace a bit during this year

Friday (Weights)
2 x cycles of the Weights.   First cycle as above, then do a second cycle :-

15 x 2 reps of Chest Fly (2 weights)
15 x 2 Chest Press (2)
15 x 2 Leg Extension (3)
15 x 2 Lat Pull Down (5)
15 x 2 Ab Crunch (5)

Heart rate peak at 145 bpm and average 130 (appx, will have to re-update next week!)

My current weight is around 12 stone 2 pounds so a little over what I consider normal, which is probably attributable to my excessive Christmas feasting (told you there was an excuse on the way :-) )

Overall I think my fitness levels are pretty good and seem to be still improving over time (very gradually)   Just need to be stricter on myself over my weekend chocolate binging to get rid of a few pounds and will then be a lean, mean fitness machine :-)

No comments: