Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Poker: BBP League – Leg 2

bbp_league

This week there are 69 entrants.    The top 10 get points, but only the  top 8 get paid, so a fair bit of work to do tonight to repeat last weeks success !

At the start, my table has three fellow graders, one chap who finished third in last weeks league and a young lady who just won a WSOP package from an online satellite … so nice and easy then !!

Incredibly, my first hand was Q-Q again… seems to be a pattern emerging :-)   I make a standard raise after one UTG limper and only he called.   The 866 rainbow flop seemed good for me, so bet out after UTG checked.  He flat called which made me wonder about his range… I was thinking small/mid PP or AT+    The 9 turn didn’t seem to trouble me, but when the UTG check/called again I am concerned he has made trips     The K river really prevented me from doing anything stupid as if he was chasing with A-K then he’s just hit… so although did consider all my options, decided to fold to his half pot bet.   He showed pocket 6’s so was relieved to only loose 1/3 my stack !

After such a tricky start I was on the back foot, but kept plodding away.   I had another lucky escape when there was a raise ahead of me… I considered calling or raising with A-9 clubs but as the raiser was already all-in there didn’t seem to be enough value so folded.  There was a re-raise and call behind me so was fairly relieved but then the AsJs9s flop seemed an ideal position for me to get my chips all-in and probably take the pot down !   It was a lucky escape however, as my nemesis showed Q-Q and hit another Q on the river !

I needed some luck as my stack was pretty short, and it came when I decided to raise with K-Qs from late position after UTG had limped.   As it happened, all folded then UTG went all-in… I decided it was now or never, and was fairly OK with him showing J-J, especially when my Q hit on the flop, so doubled up.

With the blinds increasing I raised Q-J hearts and got re-raised all-in by a loose, aggro player.  Everyone folded so I called all-in and was pleased to see the villain had 7-6 clubs.  Although he hit his 7 on the flop, my flush came on the river so doubled up again !

At the 1st break:-
  17th of 37 players
  2815 chips, against 2797 average

After that it was steady as she goes, as was able to wait for hands.  I had good wins with J-J, A-J then A-Q… then A-4 !  (Blind v’s Blind managed to get all-in on Q84 flop against 4-3)  The very next had got A-A and had someone go all-in ahead of me so got some more chips.

By the 2nd break:-
1st from 12 remaining players!
19046 chips / 8625 average   (average for 10 players is 10350 so in great shape to make the money)

It was not long before we had our Final table:-
2nd of 10 players
19796 chips with 10350 average

The play got very tough and tense, but managed to maintain my momentum.  A-4 was very kind to me as had UTG limp so I completed in the SB and saw a flop of K44 !  We all checked and the turn came 3 but made a flush possible.   We got to the showdown with min bets on the turn and river, so I won a nice pot but should’ve attacked the flop !

We are down to 5 players and the blinds are biting, although am fairly comfortable in 2nd place.  Owen has been very aggressive , especially when he took the chip lead a while back.  He raised my BB and there was a caller, so when I looked at my 5-5 decided it was a fold or shove moment.  I decided to shove but unfortunately my timing was out and Owen showed pocket A’s taking me out !

5th place gave me $25.87, but more importantly the second point finish in two weeks, so am league leader at the moment :-)

The league positions are at http://www.blackbeltpoker.com/groups/league/

No comments: