Saturday, July 04, 2009

Poker: EPT Barcelona or bust !

logo-EPT

In addition to my so far feeble attempts to qualify for Late Night Poker, my other main ambitions this year are to break even for the year. but more importantly to qualify for an live EPT event.   Pokerstars are running satellite qualifiers for EPT Moscow in August, but the one of interest to me is EPT Barcelona in September.  

logo 

I have just over 1000 Frequent Player Points (FPP) which you accumulate  by playing on the site, so was delighted to see a qualifier game for 1000 FPP with one player going though to the next round for every 10 players.     It was kicking off at 5:30pm so a decent time of day as well, so signed up !

In the end there were 16 players so only the winner goes through and 2nd-7th places get their 1000 FPP back as a prize.   The standard of play seemed pretty good, with most players being Tight Aggressive (TAG) and respectful of the others.    First hand I got K-K ! but wasn't expecting any action to my raise... as it happened someone re-raised me.    I nearly went all-in but decided to just call.... but when there was no A on the flop I bet out and took a good size pot.  The very next hand I got A-Ks so raised and the same player as before re-raised... again I just called but this time there was an A on the flop so bet out and he folded again !    Next hand I got A-5s and decided to raise again (mainly for the comedy value)  This time everyone folded.....

After that it was back to the normal rubbish to mediocre cards, so played it tight and steady.

It only took to just before the first break, before we got to the prizes (7 players) so I was now guaranteed at least another chance as I get back my stake but really needed to win it.   I'm 4th with 2310 chips (Avg 3428) so feel I have a chance

With a couple of short stacks, it doesn't take long before we are down to 5 players  (Avg 4800 chips)  I am now 2nd with 5270 and chip leader has 10'335, so still in there but have to get aggressive     Luckily I soon see pocket T's and re-raise a shorter stack who calls with A-4   The flop and turn are blanks making me about 94% to double up... but of course the river brings the heartbreaking A to take me down to about 690 chips !

Couple of hands later and the blind approaching I stick it in with Q-Ts but the lucky fellow who took my chips calls with Q-J and I'm out in 5th.    Obviously finishing 5th, 7th or 2nd are all the same, so had to go for the win.   Felt I played pretty well and had that A not come on the river would almost certainly have got to down to the final 2 (and who knows after that!)

At least I still have all my FPP intact and will be trying the same again before too long (probably next week!)   Lets hope for better luck next time.....

No comments: