Friday, July 03, 2009

Poker : Home Tournament – July 2009

It was a hot night in Camberley and the silly season was upon us :-)

A crazy night of poker ensued, from what started out as a fairly typical night for me….

I started out steady but Jon was quickly scooping up the chips and getting a good size stack from the beginning.   I then had a good run of cards and managed to get a load of chips, some from Jon, Alex and Roger (so far as I can remember)  

By the break I was on around 6000 chips and looking strong, Jon had fallen back a bit, as had Alex and Jock who were a bit low on chips.  Roger had the double buy in to keep him going.

I was still going great and was hitting cards, but then Jock got busted out by Jon and Derek came to our table to keep the numbers even and my luck changed !   Derek’s first hand on our table  I had pocket T and raised the pot.  Derek in the SB called and Alex folded.   The flop came K-K-J and as Derek only had around 1000 left and the pot was 2700 I just put him all-in.  Of course he had K-T so immediately called and took a decent pot.   Couple of hands later I was on BB with K-T, Derek called from button and Alex was all-in from SB.   The flop came Ten high, so Derek and I checked, the turn of 9 saw me check call Dereks bet of 1000, and same on the blank river    Derek had pocket 9’s of course, so took out Alex and a load of my chips… leaving me quite short

Later in the game, Derek gave a load of chips to Jon, but Jon gave some of them to Roger… but now Roger was taking my chips as well, but that was my own fault for calling on the SB with 8-3 and getting a straight draw…..

Now dangerously low in chips, I was happy to hear that Lee was knocked out as this meant I had made the final table !   

I was actually the low stack on the final table, but Steve only had a few extra chips and was in the BB !   He didn’t get any luck and was out in 8th…. Derek was next up in the BB with a low stack and also got taken out so I am going up the rankings fast !   In the BB I had 1000 in already and 200 behind, but with 5-2 it isn’t looking good for me… not even the 2 on the flop cheered me up, but Jon, myself and Andy all checked it down to the river and to my surprise and delight… I won the pot !

Giddy with success, (and with the blinds now up to 2000/1000) the very next hand I see an opening when everyone folds to my SB, so go all in against Karen with Q-7s   Unfortunately my timing was a little out, as Karen was sitting in BB with A-A  which held up and I was out in 6th (albeit better finish than I was expecting!)

With the high blinds, Andy has to take a chance and shoves his chips in but doesn’t have enough chips to scare Roger off who called with K-4s   The K on the river is enough to see off Andy and the last 4 players have only 4 hands left to play   

Jon is almost all-in on the SB so automatically calls even though Roger raises…. but his desperate gamble doesn’t pay and Jon is out on the bubble

Sean is last in chip count so goes all-in from the button to win the blinds, next hand sees Roger all=in against Karen but although starting out behind, Roger hits his hand and leaves Karen with around 1400 chips

The last hand is a classic, with Sean all-in from the button, Karen folds to retain a few chips, but Roger calls.     Sean would have won by folding and Roger was guaranteed 2nd by folding, but fair dues they are both up for it and play anyway… Sean having A-A against Rogers Q-Q !!  No-one improves, so Roger takes 3rd, Karen 2nd and Sean wins

It was a lively game tonight and a bit more raucous than normal… must be the heat :-)  Certainly produced some exciting Poker so will have to turn up the heating next time ;-)

No comments: