Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Backgammon: bad day at the board

Decided to play a couple of games of Backgammon

I like to play the "swing" tournaments as they combine the use of the doubling cube with a fixed amount of money and a tournament format. You get 1000 "chips" to play with and each game point is initially set to cost 200 chips. Every 5 mins the stacks go up and when you loose all your chips you are out of the tournament. Unfortunately it can take a long time to wait until there are enough players (only 6 players in my case, but can take half hour or so before the tournament starts)

Whilst I was waiting I tried to find a cash game, but could only get a $1 game, which is OK but was hoping for a quick $0.40 Had an exciting game, opponent doubled up early on, so took the bet. Went down to the wire and had 1 checker left at the end, so very close. Had a rematch, but soon after this game started, the Swing tournament also started and unlike Poker it is extreamly difficult to play more than 1 match simultaneously. Did my best but the distractions meant I quickly went behind in the cash game and lost too easily.

Must take the lesson onboard NOT to register for tournament then go off an play cash games in future !

The tournament started off well.... first game I offered a double and the opponent quit, even though I wasn't that far ahead. Second game had an exciting match, got doubled and went on to win. After the third game which I also won I was in the lead with the most chips and only 3 players left (out of the 6) but the stacks go up as time progresses so when I lost the next two games, I was all-in on the next game, with the winner of this match likely to take the tournament (as the third player only had a few chips left) Very exciting again, had a bit of bad luck with the dice to begin, but then managed to build a good position but it eventually came down to who got luckiest on the dice rolling by the time we were bearing off, and I lost by 1 checker again !!

Not my night tonight for Backgammon and my bankroll is back down to my starting amount of £20 so will have to start building it up again.

Great way to relax after playing poker though :-)

No comments: