Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Computers: RSS feeds rule OK

OK, I am a sad techy and can't stop myself from getting excited about some new techy toy :-)
and it's not even new technology.... just that I found myself struggling to keep up with all the news at work and also was browsing my local council web site and found some interesting local events stuff, which I knew I would never remember to find again..... so what is the answer ? Well RSS is the answer for me on this and luckily RSS feeds are available on the sites I was looking at

What is RSS (Really Simple Syndication) well it is basically like being sent emails about new articles in a section of a web site you are interested in. It is better than email as you get a summary of the article/item and can go and look at the full article if you want to, but otherwise just scan over the articles.

All you need is a RSS reader, which you can either install as a program on your PC or via a Web Site where you use your browser as the reader. For me, a browser based RSS reader is the only way to go so looked at the following sites:-
  1. http://feeds.reddit.com/ but the interface is clunky, the site is slow and you cannot even change your password (maybe I shouldn't be so fussy with a free service :-) )
  2. http://www.bloglines.com/ interface seems quite good and the site looks fast. Seems to have lots of features like blogs and stuff.... but to be honest I just couldn't work out how to read my feeds after I subscribed to them so completely useless as a RSS as far as I am concerned
  3. http://www.google.com/reader this is the one I am using right now. Easy to setup, quick responses and slick interface
Now I can simply login to the reader site and see a list of new articles from the sites I subscribe to, meaning I can easily keep track of local events and work related news all from one place. I guess the only downside is that I will need to login every day to keep the volume of items to scan down to a manageable level.

Mind you, I cope with about 40-50 emails every morning so I guess an extra couple of dozen messages won't make a lot of difference

If anyone knows a better browser based RSS reader let me know....

No comments: