Friday, January 15, 2010

Poker: Home tournament – January 2010

The new season nearly didn’t start at all, as the first week was wiped out with the extreme snow conditions, so was prudent to delay the start until this week

It was well worth the wait, as the 12 people who turned up were ready to get stuck in, particularly with the new no limit rules !!

My table had Alex, Jock, Andy, Derek and Jon so you wouldn’t expect the chips to be flying everywhere…. but as it turned out myself, Andy and Jon all had around 7 buy ins ! although it did settle down a bit as everyone’s stacks got to a reasonable size

There were a huge number of interesting hands in the first session, so don't remember them all…. but Derek drew out on Jon at least a couple of times… the most notable time being when Derek got all-in with KQ hearts and Jon had AKo     Jon dealt himself the horrid flop of QQJ but then got T on the turn to give a straight, although Derek picked up the flush draw…. then the A hearts came on the river giving Derek a Royal Flush !! 

royal_flush

I had a run of bad luck and good luck, so was a bit of a roller coaster….  I got in against Jock with 86 from the blind when the flop came 88x   Of course he had an 8 with with a higher kicker so that was my first double buy in of many during the night…. later in the session I got JJ and raised.   Alex reraised but Andy called as well as me.   The flop came Jxx so raised and was reraised allin by Alex.  Andy decided to call as did I… Alex having AA but to no avail as I tripled up and that gave me a huge stack

Despite my worries with the new rules that we would have 12 people for the final table, it transpired that the No Limit rules give a lot of scope for people to get knocked out !    Andy was the first, taken out by me (actually that may have been the JJ hand I described above!)  and it wasn’t long after that Derek got taken out as well, so Bill joined our table.    All the action was on our table as Jon then Bill got taken out in quick succession and we are down to the final table

Myself, Alex and Sean are the big stacks, with Roger and Karen being notably low.      I managed to double up Roger with a foolish lunge at his Big Blind when I was small blind, but Karen was not so lucky, being taken out by Sean

The chips start moving about the table and the chips seem to be evening out.   Jock suddenly had a big stack, then Alex has recovered, then it seems Sean is chips lead so its difficult to keep track

With blinds starting to hurt, the middle size stacks are suddenly short stacks and the carnage continues and we are soon down to five players and the last 15 mins to play.   Sean starts to get busy and busts out everyone !    I can remember suddenly finding myself in the last 3 on the BB but with Alex raising and Sean re-raising all-in decide to fold.  Alex shows JJ to Seans Ax but the A takes out Alex and I am suddenly in 2nd place without really realizing what happened !

Sean has 2:1 chip lead but decides to call my all-in move with J-9 and shows A-7   My 9 hits the turn and I am suddenly chip lead.   I have to fold the next couple of hands but a chip count with two hands to play shows Sean has the lead back.    In the end I get rubbish hands and Sean calls my desperate all-in on the final hand (think I had T-4 or something) and gets the extra point for knocking me out as well !

It was definitely an explosive start to the new year.   We finished a little later than normal, so may need to review the timings but otherwise  think the new rules are working well.

Looking forward to next time (which is only 3 weeks to wait!)

No comments: